Closes: Monday, April 9, 2018
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Associate degree (or higher) from a regionally accredited institution required.
- At least three years’ experience as an administrative assistant required.
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint) and research required.
- Proven ability to create, compose, and edit written materials required; demonstrated competencies through internal testing will be required.
- Strong and dependable work ethic.
- Must have a proclivity for being proactive, independent, and tactful in handling duties and responsibilities.
- Strong organization skills with the ability to prioritize and multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and within time constraints.
- Excellent time management and prioritization skills.
- Highly organized with strong attention to detail.
- Ability to learn quickly and handle new responsibilities.
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution preferred.
- Five years’ experience as an administrative assistant preferred.
Provide diverse administrative support to the Chief Administrative Officer and the Administrative Services Division, which encompasses performing multiple duties, tasks, and responsibilities in support of various departments and functions such as human resources; marketing and public relations; campus police and security; environmental, health, and safety; professional development; and WSGE Radio. Position will also provide administrative support in the management of a variety of special projects in support of the College’s mission.
Duties and Responsibilities
- General: Perform a variety of administrative duties including creating departmental, divisional, and College-wide communications, correspondence, and related documents; performing grammar and content reviews (e.g., proof-reading and editing documents); managing various electronic and hardcopy calendars and schedules; assisting with meeting preparation and administration including creating agendas, developing and organizing supporting documents, contacting and verifying attendees, recording minutes, and following-up on the status and completion of action items and related duties or tasks. Respond to telephone, email, and in-person inquiries with a strong customer service focus; regularly handle sensitive and confidential information with judgment and tact; serve as a resource for policies, procedures and guides; regularly communicate and interact with internal and external customers, clients, vendors, and various organizations or entities; and submit and track applicable helpdesk requests through completion. Position requires the ability to anticipate and address needs on a regular basis.
- Special Projects: Plan, coordinate, and assist with activities related to special projects, special events, and assignments including researching, analyzing, summarizing, organizing and compiling data; preparing reports; and providing assistance with preparing information for presentations and related responsibilities.
- Budget, Requisitions, Travel: Enter purchase requisitions into the E-Procurement system. Obtain proper signatures and submit invoices for payment processing. Track divisional and departmental budget expenditures using Colleague and any other supporting systems (e.g., Excel spreadsheets). Make and coordinate travel, accommodation, and related arrangements as needed and prepare and process all related forms for reimbursement in an accurate and timely manner.
- Software and Office Technology: Remain current and maintain a high level of proficiency with office technology and software.
- Web Content, Manuals, & Database Management: Assist with updating content on applicable web pages and maintaining various hardcopy and electronic manuals and databases (e.g., Policy and Procedure and Environmental, Health, and Safety) and coordinate and communicate any applicable updates with the NC Community College System Office or other entities.
- Recordkeeping: Manage hardcopy and electronic files and records including organizing, filing, imaging, and retrieving.
- Professional Development: Assist with scheduling professional development seminars and workshops as requested.
- College Committees:Represent the Administrative Services Division, and specifically the Office of Human Resources, on the College’s Social Committee and actively participate in performing various associated duties and responsibilities. Participate on other committees and in groups as requested.
- Administrative Reports:Prepare employee update reports as needed for various meetings and groups including, but not limited to, the College’s Board of Trustees and President’s Cabinet.
- Back-up Responsibilities:Responsible for providing back-up services for a variety of functions including, but not limited to, hiring and selection, on-boarding, part-time payroll, leave of absence administration, audits, reports, data entry, employee directory maintenance, and receptionist and/or switchboard operator duties.
- Other: Maintain a high standard of professional and ethical practice in representing the College. Maintain confidentiality of sensitive and/or confidential information. Demonstrate a thorough knowledge of the field or discipline with continued adherence to professional accountability. Provide a high level of service to customers by establishing and maintaining effective working relationships and partnerships. Accept responsibility for managing situations and problems. Utilize independent judgment in problem-solving of complex issues. Work cooperatively with team members and colleagues, contributing positively and constructively to the achievement of team and College objectives. Adhere to the College’s policies, procedures, and other established guidelines. Perform other duties as assigned, including special projects.
How to Apply
Open until filled. Review of applications will begin March 23, 2018.
Apply online only at www.gaston.edu > Employment Opportunities. AA/EEO Employer
In order to be considered, the online application for employment must be completed in its entirety. An attached resume may not be substituted for a fully complete application. Include cover letter and resume.
Anticipated start date May 2018
Job Post Contact