Workforce & Economic Development
Closes: Monday, March 19, 2018
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
This is a full-time position reporting to the Dean, Workforce and Economic Development. The ideal candidate will be highly innovative and proactive in meeting the needs of the community for Fire, EMS and rescue training services. This is a multi-faceted position, working with students, faculty, staff, and community to meet the changing demands of the service area, including development of classroom and distant learning instructional activities.
Associate's Degree Public Service, Emergency Service, Education or a related field, with Level II Fire Instructor and/or Level II EMS Instructor certification. Minimum of five years experience as a member of an emergency services agency.
1. Developing, administering, implementing, and evaluating a wide range fire, rescue, and EMS courses that meet the demands of the service area
2. Ensuring that specified training courses meet the demands of external certification agencies, particularly the NC Department of Insurance Office of State Fire Marshall and the NC Division of Health Service Regulation Office of Emergency Medical Services, including the submission and maintenance of required records
3. Instructing courses within the fire, rescue, and EMS areas, as needed, and maintaining appropriate external certifications to serve as an instructor
4. Serving as the functional leader of the college’s fire, rescue, and EMS training programs, including supervision of full- and part-time faculty and staff assigned to the program
5. Developing, implementing and maintaining an ongoing plan for fire, rescue and EMS services training that incorporates set goals and fosters cooperation among staff and the community
6. Recruiting qualified instructors, securing instructional materials and equipment, and coordinating logistics for fire, rescue and EMS services and other assigned courses
7. Maintaining ongoing, positive relationships with the local fire and EMS service providers, community, external accrediting agencies, curriculum colleagues in the EMS area, and NCCCS experts in the assigned area
8. Coordinating the marketing and recruitment for fire, rescue, and EMS training
9. Collaborating with external entities to ensure that fire, rescue and EMScourses and training occur in a manner to best serve students and the community, at large
10. Ensuring continuous improvement in assigned areas through open dialogue with division staff and external partners, and then implementing changes as needed
11. Understanding current and emerging trends and developing innovative training solutions to meet the demands of the fire and rescue services community
12. Serving on external boards and committees that support the goals of the division, with the approval of the supervisor
13. Following the processes and procedures of the division to ensure the timely flow of relevant paperwork such as registrations and contracts
14. Managing budgets for assigned areas and meeting reporting requirements
15. Being committed to the college’s mission, vision, and core values
16. Participating in professional development opportunities, both internally and externally
17. Serving on college committees and task forces, as assigned
18. Understanding the mission of the NC Community College System
How to Apply
Interested, qualified applicants must submit a cover letter, a completed Halifax Community College application, resume, and transcripts for consideration of employment. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of applications. Only completed and signed application packets will be considered. Official transcripts are required upon hiring.
The cover letter should be typed and should address each of the items listed in the Education and Experience requirements of the posting. The items should be formatted as subheadings, and your relevant experience should be provided below each subheading. Please bold each subheading.
Right-click here to save HCC's Employment Application Form. (You will need a PDF viewer, such as Adobe Reader- the form is type-able and savable). Print and fill out the form, then mail it to the address below.
Send applications to (and for application information, contact)
Halifax Community College
P.O. Drawer 809, Weldon, NC 27890
(252) 536-5465 (fax)
OR you may bring them by the Personnel Office Room 303-B
Job Post Contact