JCC Main Campus - Smithfield, NC
Closes: Tuesday, October 31, 2017
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
MINIMUM & PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education Minimum: Associate's Degree with a broad understanding of the US Department of Labor/OSHA regulations as well as state, and local Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) laws, rules, regulations, and policies applicable.
Preferred Education: Bachelor's Degree in OSHA, Environmental Science, Industrial Hygiene, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, or other related safety related field or equivalent professional experience.
Preferred Qualifications: Must possess an understanding of, US Department of Labor/OSHA regulations as well as state, and local Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) laws, rules, regulations, and policies.
Experience Minimum: Three to five years of professional work experience with an understanding of the Federal, State, and local EHS laws, rules, regulations, and policies.
Preferred Experience: Three to five years of professional work experience with a broad understanding of the Federal, State, and local EHS laws, rules, regulations, and policies. Workers Compensation filing and reporting experience highly preferred. Knowledge of the ADA and other laws addressing the rights of people with disabilities, such as Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, 29 U.S.C. § 794
Please see above.
Performs safety and health activities for the College by identifying hazards, developing policies and procedures and monitoring compliance with policies and procedures; also, acts as the College's OSHA & ADA Representative. Position posted until filled.
KNOWLEDGE & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Identifies and anticipates Safety and Health Concerns and Hazards by inspecting environmental, operational and occupational conditions; investigates violations; and recommends safety programs.
- Enforces College wide Safety Policies in accordance with US Department of Labor/ Occupational Safety and Health Administration regulations (OSHA). Guides and promotes safe work performance by developing safety systems, policies and procedures, develops safety campaigns, communications and recognition, and trains managers and employees on safety related issues. Manages emergency response program in the areas of fire safety and severe weather response planning.
- Complies with federal, state and local safety regulations by: studying and attending OSHA training classes, interpreting OSHA standards, enforcing adherence to regulations, and advising management on actions needed to meet OSHA standards.
- Coordinates compliance of ADA requirements.
- Conducts inspections on all buildings and equipment.
- Maintains and orders fire extinguishers, first aid kits and supplies.
- Maintains records for required OSHA inspections and training.
- Maintains and enforces the data compliance for Hazardous Materials, Blood-borne Pathogens and Chemical Hygiene.
- Assist with maintenance of Material Safety Data Sheets.
- Promotes a safe environment by meeting and working with local, state and regional safety groups and agencies.
- Collects and investigates information pertaining to on the job injuries and accidents. Presents information at Workers Compensations hearings.- works closely with Human Resources Director and Workers Compensation Insurance Adjusters -- on claim related issues.
- Assists Human Resource Director with on the job accident and illness reporting.
- Prepares and submits required OSHA and other Federal & State reporting requirements as needed.
- Serves on the JCC Safety Committee for development and implementation of the College's Safety Plan.
- Maintains AED (Automated External Defibrillator) units.
- Maintain battery powered smoke detectors
- Conduct fire drills for JCC facilities.
- Assist federal, state and county inspectors with work related and facility inspections as needed.
- Assist with and maintain various safety and emergency plans to include the JCC Emergency Response
Plan, JCC Safety Plan, Exposure Control Plan, Chemical Hygiene Plan, Hazardous Communication Plan and LO/TO Plan etc.Submit, maintain and follow up on KACE Safety work request Federal & State non-compliance issues.
- Assists the Maintenance Department Staff with maintenance projects in regard to non-major physical demands and occupational exposures.
- Conduct monthly inspections and report findings for all exterior lighting.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be proficient with MS Office products. –
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations (ability to obtain)
- OSHA Certification (Occupational Safety & Health)
- MESH Certification (Manager of Environmental Safety & Health)
Physical Demands - The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance. The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment -The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact