Located in the Great Smoky Mountains, Haywood Community College is a small comprehensive community college of about 2,000 students enrolled in day, evening, and on-line programs with curricula in business and entrepreneurship, education, information technology, natural resources, nursing, applied and engineering technologies, professional crafts, and the liberal arts. Its main 83-acre campus is a beautifully-wooded site about one mile from Interstate 40, five miles east of Waynesville and twenty-five miles west of Asheville. The College serves a Haywood County population of about 50,000 residents. Haywood Community College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. For more information visit the College’s web site at http://www.haywood.edu.
- Instructional (Faculty)
Closes: Friday, December 15, 2017
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
(1.) Applicant must hold a current unrestricted license or multistate licensure privilege to practice as a registered nurse in North Carolina. Applicant must hold a Bachelor's degree in Nursing from an accredited institution;
(2) have two calendar years or the equivalent of full time clinical experience as a registered nurse;
(3) if newly employed in a full time faculty position on or after January 1, 2016, hold a graduate degree from an accredited institution,
(4) prior to or within the first three years of employment, have preparation in teaching and learning principles for adult education, including curriculum development, implementation, and evaluation, appropriate to assignment. This preparation may be demonstrated by one of the following:
(A) completion of 45 contact hours of continuing education courses;
(B) completion of a certificate program in nursing education;
(C) nine semester hours of graduate course work;
(D) national certification in nursing education; or
(E) documentation of successful completion of structured, individualized development activities of at least 45 contact hours approved by the North Carolina Board of Nursing.
(5) maintain competence in the areas of assigned responsibility; and
(6) have current knowledge of nursing practice for the registered nurse and the licensed practical nurse
(1.) Master of Science degree in Nursing with additional preference to Master of Nursing Education from an accredited institution.
(2.) Five years or the equivalent of full time clinical experience as a registered nurse.
(3.) Previous experience instructing students within the classroom, lab, and clinical settings.
(4.) Demonstrate the ability to utilize a variety of computerized learning systems
Full-time teaching faculty are responsible for instructing students on-campus, off-campus, on-line, and by web-enhanced courses in accordance with College policy and procedures; advising students; maintaining office hours; assisting with registration; serving on College committees; developing curriculum; maintaining professional competence; and participating in professional development activities. Faculty members are responsible to a department chair. The relationship of the faculty member to the student is one of leader, teacher, advisor and facilitator of learning.
The essential functions of this position include the following:
- Assisting with planning, implementation and evaluation and revision of Curriculum.
- Communicating all pertinent information regarding policies, objectives, course requirements, evaluation methods, grading system, and any other aspects pertinent to each course to students and others.
- Maintaining accurate, timely records pertaining to student progress and behaviors.
- Making appropriate referrals for students experiencing academic, personal, or other problems.
- Preparing clinical, hospital, and laboratory schedules for students.
- Making/approving student assignments in clinical settings.
- Supervising nursing students in clinical settings.
- Preparing and conducting student evaluations.
- Working with clinical agencies and staff in coordinating students’ clinical assignments.
- Participating in professional and institutional activities.
- Assisting in recruitment and selection of students.
- Planning, implementing, and evaluating innovative ideas in instruction.
- Notifying program director if there are variations from the posted
- Teaching course objectives in the classroom, lab, and clinical facility..
- Using the appropriate chain of command within Region A Nursing Consortium to report problems and /or progress.
- Assuming responsibilities as designated by the Program Director or designee.
- Ensuring that college and clinical agency regulations and policies are followed.
- Assisting in choosing new equipment and maintaining college and clinical agency property and equipment.
- Serving on college and other committees as assigned.
- In addition, the lead instructor will assist in preparing and conducting the evaluation of part-time instructors, ensure the students evaluate the clinical agency and clinical experience, and will submit minutes of faculty meetings regarding clinical.
Perform other duties and responsibilities as required.
How to Apply
Position open only until filled, applications reviewed upon receipt.
To Apply Submit:
- Complete official Haywood Community College employment application online found at www.haywood.edu, click on the Jobs tab then select position applying for.
- Application must be complete for consideration- do not reference resume.
- References may not be current HCC employees nor family members. Must provide 3 PROFESSIONAL references, one must be a current or previous supervisor with email addresses. Application will not be considered complete if emails for professional references are not provided.
- College screening committee is responsible for application review, interviews, and recommends the final candidate to the college president.
- Unofficial transcripts will be accepted for the application process. Most unofficial transcripts can be downloaded from college/university websites. Official transcripts must be received within 10 business days of start date. When submitting official transcripts via email please have them sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- HCC is a tobacco free campus.
HCC is an Equal Employment Opportunity Institution.