Closes: Thursday, June 22, 2017
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Associate’s degree from a regionally accredited institution in human resources, business or other related field from a regionally accredited institution.
A minimum of 2 years of related work experience.
Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution in human resources, business or other related field from a regionally accredited institution.
A minimum of 2 years of work experience in a community college human resources environment.
Experience working with the current College Information System (CIS).
Full-time 12 month position reports to the Director of Human Resources. Responsibilities include assisting employees with basic questions, handling phone inquires, assisting applicants, data entry, and maintaining file system. This individual will also be responsible for assisting the Director of Human Resources with additional HR related duties, as needed. The position requires one to maintain flexibility and willingness to change; open-mindedness, fairness and the ability to see multiple perspectives, and accept responsibility for professional and personal growth.
Under the direction of the Director of Human Resources, the Human Resources Specialist works cooperatively with BCCC faculty/staff to perform the following:
- Developing and administering hiring procedures for all areas on campus. Coordinating the entire hiring process with division Vice Presidents.
- Obtaining documented approval for pay rates/salaries from the Vice President and the President and preparing contracts for employees based on this information.
- Processing and filing paperwork for full-time and part-time employees. Verifying information from previous employers to determine prior State service and longevity date.
- Entering and maintaining personnel information in the current College Information System and maintaining database of personnel information.
- Conducting exit interview; including, but not limited to, completing exit interview forms, and completing and processing appropriate retirement forms.
- Being responsible for advertising, receiving, distributing, and ensuring compliance with BCCC’s Affirmative Action Plan for all position openings
- Managing worker’s compensation and disability claims.
- Monitoring personnel areas of Policies and Procedures Manual and recommending changes.
- Serve as back to up completing personnel reports as required. (i.e., Staff information and IPEDS reports).
- Supplying employees information and services relating to benefits, health care, retirement, short-term and long-term disability, insurance, tax-sheltered investment programs, and related matters. Serving as HBR (Health Benefits Representative) for the State of North Carolina Health Plan.
- Maintaining personnel files.
- Assisting with payroll entry.
- Tracking and maintaining employee leave including managing leaves of absence.
- Maintaining employee credentials.
- Serving as backup to facilities’ scheduler.
- Maintaining list of recipients for service awards and ordering the awards.
- Compiling new hire packets for orientation.
- Serving as backup administrator to PeopleAdmin.
- Scheduling Ads and submitting Requisitions.
- Serve on appropriate college committees as requested.
- Interact with students, the public, the community, and co-workers in a cooperative, courteous and professional manner.
- Participate in professional development activities designed to enhance job skills and knowledge, as agreed upon by the employee and supervisor.
- Comply with the College’s policies and procedures located on the BCCC website.
- Perform related duties and responsibilities, as assigned by supervisor.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office programs and general office software and equipment.
- Knowledge of local, state and federal employment laws.
- Ability to make sound decisions, evaluate priorities, multi-task, and remain flexible.
- Exceptionally self-motivated and directed.
- Ability to function under a high degree of confidentiality.