- Instructional (Faculty)
Closes: Thursday, October 26, 2017
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Current, unrestricted licensing as a registered nurse in North Carolina.
Faculty of the Associate Degree Nursing program shall be qualified as stated in the North Carolina Administrative Code and by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN). A master’s degree in nursing from an accredited institution is required by the ACEN.
Faculty of the Practical Nursing Program shall be qualified as stated in the North Carolina Administrative Code.
North Carolina Administrative Code
21 NCAC 36.0318 Faculty
Each nurse faculty member shall hold a current unrestricted license to practice as a registered nurse in North Carolina.
Nursing faculty who teach in a program leading to initial licensure as a nurse shall:
(1) hold either a baccalaureate in nursing or a master’s degree in nursing from an accredited institution;
(2) if employed after December 31, 1983, have two calendar years or the equivalent of full time clinical experience as a registered nurse;
(3) prior to or within the first three years of employment, have preparation in teaching and learning principles for adult education, including curriculum development, implementation, and evaluation, appropriate to assignment. This preparation may be demonstrated by one of the following:
A) completion of 45 contact hours of continuing education courses;
B) completion of a certificate program in nursing education;
C) nine semester hours of education coursework;
D) national certification in nursing education; or
E) documentation of successful completion of structured, individualized development activities of at least 45 contact hours approved by the Board. Criteria for approval include content in the faculty role within the curriculum implementation, objectives to be met and evaluated, review of strategies for identified student population and expectations of student and faculty performance;
(4) by December 31, 2010, all current faculty shall meet the requirements in Subparagraph (e)(3) of this Rule;
(5) maintain competence in the areas of assigned responsibility; and
(6) have current knowledge of nursing practice for the registered nurse and the licensed practical nurse.
For nursing faculty, a minimum of two calendar years of prior full-time employment or the equivalent in clinical nursing practice as an RN.
Experience in teaching nursing education is preferred.
To provide instruction to college students through lecture, demonstration, laboratory exercises, clinical instruction, handouts, responding to questions and testing.
This is the full journey level class within the instructor series. Employees within this class are distinguished from the Senior Instructor by the performance of basic and general instructional duties. Employees at this level receive only occasional instruction or assistance as new or unusual situations arise, and are fully aware of the operating procedures and policies of the work unit.