- Instructional (Faculty)
Closes: Wednesday, January 31, 2018
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Master’s degree in Ornamental Horticulture or a Master’s Degree in a related field with teaching and work-related experience in applied hands-on horticulture.
- Must have, or obtain after hiring, a North Carolina Pesticide license.
- Must be able to meet the technical standards of working in the Sandhills Horticulture Gardens and greenhouses (be an independently mobile person, lift 50 pounds, be outside in all weather conditions, etc.), with additional work in various classrooms, outdoor settings, and at off-campus sites.
Community college teaching experience and credentials to teach in additional discipline(s) are preferred.
Sandhills Community College seeks applications for a full-time Landscape Gardening Program Coordinator. This position is a 12 month position. Instructional duties will include teaching topics in the Engineering Technologies department, using a variety of delivery modes: traditional classroom, online, hybrid, weekend, mini-mester, and evening. This position will provide effective and high quality instruction in accordance with the published course curriculum in the Landscape Gardening Program, with instruction in the classroom and hands-on field laboratory instruction in the 32-acre horticultural gardens and greenhouses.
Faculty duties also include assisting with student recruitment, advising students and performing support duties as assigned by the department chair. Class sessions may take place on the Sandhills Community College campus and on Moore and Hoke County high school campuses. Ability to integrate with other disciplines and support technology programs is a plus. Interviews for the position will include a teaching demonstration and an oral/written assessment conducted in a computer environment.
Keep up with the scholarship of their discipline.
- Support student learning outside of class.
- Schedule program courses for each semester
- Work closely with Golf Course Management faculty in the offering of courses and when working with students
- Supervise on-site and off-site work based learning experiences.
- Maintain accurate scholastic and membership records of students enrolled in classes and submit reports as required
- Lead LSG students at the National Collegiate Landscape Competition
- Maintain accreditation through the National Association of Landscape Professionals (NALP)
- Work closely with the Director of the Sandhills Horticulture Gardens to accomplish hands-on learning goals for LSG students
- Assist in program and curriculum review, revision and development
- Participate in implementation and evaluation of curriculum
- Maintain positive and professional interpersonal relationships with students, faculty, staff and administration at the college
- Participate in professional development activities to keep pace with innovative practices that improve teaching and learning
- Maintain office hours which facilitate student and faculty access
- Maintain open and effective lines of communication via email/Moodle with students, faculty, staff, administration, and community members
- Serve on college committees as appointed and assigned
- Participate in course, program, and department committee meetings
- Facilitate student learning of course objectives in the classroom, labs, and clinical settings
- Exhibit the five core values of Sandhills Community College.
How to Apply
Apply online at: http://www.sandhills.edu/employment-sandhills-community-college/
Salary to be commensurate with experience and state salary schedules. Applications will be accepted until January 31, 2018. To maximize your opportunity for selection; transcripts, letter of interest, and resume must be uploaded with your application. Selection is contingent on final budget approval.
Sandhills Community College is convinced that being around people who are different makes us more creative, more diligent, and harder working. We are committed to a campus that supports diversity in both learning and working environments, and in our outreach to our community. We are also committed to working with Veterans of our armed forces to honor their commitment to our country and learn from their experiences.