North and South Brunswick High Schools
Brunswick County Academy and West Brunswick High School
Closes: Friday, September 15, 2017
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Career development or career pathway knowledge through the post-secondary level
- Effective experience in working with students, faculty and parents to address issues, concerns, and resolve conflicts.
- Ability to interact in a professional manner and maintain effective working relationships with members of the BCC Board of Trustees; College
- Administration; Brunswick County Schools Board of Education and Administration, instructors/teachers, staff and students; and the general public.
- Effective discretion in handling confidential information and sensitive materials.
- Excellent public relations skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent record keeping skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to work as a team member and under minimal direction and supervision. Strong presentation skills.
- Availability to work some evenings.
- Ability to interpret data and to use data to implement, monitor and adjust the program as needed.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Experience in advising high school students for community college and/or university education or related job/career options
- Experience with distance education
- Experience in college student success programs (e.g. success coaching)
Brunswick Community College is seeking a qualified candidate to serve as a Career Coach. This position will build awareness of dual enrollment opportunities, conduct academic and career advising with students, and coordinate faculty and staff professional development activities. This position reports to the Center for Advanced Studies (CAS) Coordinator and is part of the state’s NC Works, Career Pathways and CTE curriculum articulated credit programs. These programs are an initiative to increase high school participation in Career Pathways and allow high school students the opportunity to earn college credit while pursuing their career goals.
One position is currently available to serve at North and South Brunswick High Schools and one position at Brunswick County Academy and West Brunswick High School.
- Work in collaboration with high school principals, counselors, career development coordinators, business/industry community, and Center for Advanced Studies Coordinator to ensure students’ career advising and testing, and college credit needs are met leading to the connection of students to post-secondary education opportunities and ultimately to local/regional jobs/careers.
- Manage career pathways at assigned area high schools.
- Contact, visit and engage businesses/industries, workforce agencies, chambers of commerce, Rotary clubs and other civic organizations in career pathway activities for students.
- Assist the BCC Curriculum Division with scheduling courses that will accommodate the needs and class schedules of high school students seeking dual enrollment opportunities.
- Provide college and career advising and registration assistance with enrollment in career pathways.
- Maintain records for enrollment, tracking, and reporting purposes and distribute placement test scores, as needed.
- Work with the Director of Secondary Education and Director of Career and Technical Education to include course descriptions and updated career pathways and CTE articulated curriculum agreement information in the annual high school curriculum guide.
- Work with the Dean of Professional and Technical Programs and the Dean of the Arts and Sciences Programs to include updated career pathways and CTE articulated curriculum agreement information in the BCC catalog and student handbook.
- Participate in any school-related activities in which career pathways can be promoted (e.g. Parent Nights).
- Utilize the early alert system to identify and provide intervention, resources, and strategies for students in need of academic support.
- Pursue and award eligible CTE students CTE articulated curriculum agreement credits.
- Manage BCC, BCS, NBHS, SBHS, WBHS and BCA websites to ensure up-to-date student and parent information is posted.
- Participate in team meeting and professional development activities as directed by the Center for Advanced Studies Coordinator.
- Engage students, counselors, faculty, parents, and all stakeholders in information sessions related to college and career success and career pathways advising sessions on related topics.
- Coordinate high school campus tours and orientations for college instructors teaching on traditional high school campuses.
- Maintain quality partnerships with secondary school personnel in collaboration with the Center for Advanced Studies Coordinator.
- Work with the BCC Office of Planning and Research in updating Compliance Assist data and information.
- Other duties as assigned by Center for Advanced Studies Coordinator.
How to Apply
A completed and signed Brunswick Community College application, a letter stating your qualifications related to the position requirements, skills and abilities, transcripts, and resume are required. Applications may be found online at www.brunswickcc.edu. Applicants should send all documents and inquiries to: Human Resources, Brunswick Community College, PO Box 30, Supply, NC, 28462. Fax (910) 754-8229 Telephone: (910) 755-7300
BCC is an Equal Opportunity Employer