Closes: Tuesday, August 22, 2017
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Any combination of education and training equivalent to possession of a Bachelor degree in information technology, Computer Science, or closely related degree, or an equivalent level of technical certifications. Associates degree with network certifications, can be considered.
Requires 1-3 years of related work experience, or Bachelor’s degree, technical training or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Working knowledge of local area networks (LAN/WAN), VMware, VLANs, servers, switches, active directory, Internet, Intranet, firewall management and maintenance, telecommunications and data communications, NOS, standard operating systems, software packages, and software utilities, proper records maintenance
- Skill and ability to plan, design, and maintain data networks and servers; and implement best practices and security measures
- Strong oral and written communication
- Ability to explain technical concepts in non-technical terms to faculty and staff
- Strong problem solving/troubleshooting skills
- Good customer service skills are needed.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Monitor, implement, and support all network and VOIP based hardware and enterprise applications.
- Monitor system logs and activity on all network and VOIP installed solutions for availability, utilization, throughput and/or latency.
- Manage distribution and coordinate installation of software updates (applications, firmware, and/or bios) for network and VOIP solutions.
- Maintain and monitor network and VOIP device configurations.
- Determine licensing requirements for various network/VOIP solutions.
- Develop strategies for integrating new network and VOIP solutions into the existing infrastructure.
- Assist with disaster recovery planning and testing.
- Adapt existing network and VOIP solutions to improve performance, correct errors or to conform to new hardware or standards.
- Store, retrieve, and manipulate data for analysis of system capabilities and requirements.
- Act as primary point of contact with all telecom, network and/or voice vendors/partners.
- Update existing or recommend new network policies and procedure.
- Develop network and VOIP requirements and recommend solutions.
- Perform other office duties as assigned by manager.
- Creates and maintains OSI layer 1, 2, and 3 diagrams. Designs and configures existing and future network systems to fit R-CCC’s needs and ensure continued support of users;
- installs and replaces network devices to update and maintain the system.
Network Administrator is responsible for designing, organizing, modifying, installing, and supporting all College owned computers, workstations, and help desk requests through effective performance of computer systems; designs and installs LANs, WANs, Internet and intranet systems, and network segmentation. These essential functional areas are:
- Design, install, and maintain network hardware and software.
- Analyze, isolate issues, and identify user needs.
- Monitor and maintain networks to ensure security and availability to specific users.
- Evaluate and modify system's performance.
- Monitor and maintain Barracuda backup system, and Barracuda Web filtering.
- Determine network and system requirements, and recommend upgrades and upsizing.
- Maintain integrity of the network, server deployment, and security.
- Install and support, LANs, WANs, VMware, VLANs, network segments, Internet, and intranet systems.
- Ensure network connectivity throughout Roanoke Chowan Community College’s LAN/WAN infrastructure is on par with technical considerations.
- Perform network address assignment.
- Assign routing protocols and routing table configuration.
- Assign configuration of authentication and authorization of directory services.
- Maintain network facilities in individual machines, such as drivers and settings of personal computers as well as printers.
- Maintain network servers such as file servers, VPN, gateways, intrusion detection systems.
- Administer servers, desktop computers, printers, routers, switches, firewalls, phones, personal digital assistants, smartphones, software deployment, security updates and patches.
- Perform other duties assigned.
How to Apply
Please go to https://www.roanokechowan.edu/about-r-ccc/human-resources/job-opportunit... for more job opportunities and about how to apply.
Roanoke-Chowan Community College is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. The College does not discriminate against students, faculty, or staff on the basis of race, color, gender, creed, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, or national or ethnic origin in admission to, or access to, or employment in its programs and activities.