Closes: Tuesday, January 2, 2018
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Bachelor's degree required in Education, Higher Education, Counseling, Social Work, or related field.
- Experience designing and providing academic advising, career counseling, personal counseling, or financial literacy education services;
- Experience working with low-income or first generation students, and/or veterans;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Experience fostering and maintaining positive and collaborative relationships with other departments and staff as well as external partners;
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to utilize technology effectively;
- Superior organizational skills;
- Understanding and respect for the diverse backgrounds of students, staff, and college community.
- Experience directly serving veterans;
- Experience with federally funded/non-profit programs, including knowledge of regulations and reporting procedures;
- Knowledge of and experience specifically with TRiO or VUB services, objectives, and regulations;
- Knowledge of the strengths and challenges of veteran students;
- Familiarity with GI Bill benefits and other veteran benefits;
- Knowledge of college admissions procedures and financial aid and scholarship opportunities;
- Career counseling experience;
- Personal experience overcoming academic, cultural, financial, or other obstacles similar to those faced by low-income, first-generation and/or veteran students;
- One of more years of experience in an academic role such as a teacher/instructor or academic counselor;
- Military affiliated (veteran or spouse).
The Veterans Upward Bound (VUB) Program at Central Carolina Community College annually serves 125 low-income and first-generation veterans from Lee, Harnett, Chatham, Wake, and Johnston Counties. VUB assists program participants in building the skills and knowledge necessary to pursue and succeed in higher education.
The Outreach & Services Coordinator conducts extensive outreach (travel) and provides programmatic and direct student support for the Veterans Upward Bound program in Lee, Harnett, Chatham, Wake, and Johnston Counties to assist veteran participants in enrolling in and completing postsecondary education. This position reports to the Director of Veterans Upward Bound.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact
Central Carolina Community College Human Resources