Position open until filled. Applications reviewed upon receipt.
Hire Date: August 7, 2018 Pending Budget Approval
Located in the Great Smoky Mountains, Haywood Community College is a small comprehensive community college of about 2,000 students enrolled in day, evening, and on-line programs with curricula in business, education, information systems, natural resources, nursing, advanced technologies, professional crafts, and the liberal arts. Its main 83-acre campus is a beautifully-wooded site about one mile from Interstate 40, five miles east of Waynesville and twenty-five miles west of Asheville. The College serves a Haywood County population of about 50,000 residents. Haywood Community College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. For more information visit the College’s web site at http://www.haywood.edu.
- Instructional (Faculty)
Closes: Tuesday, May 1, 2018
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Master’s degree with 18 graduate hours in Sociology or related subject area.
Potential candidates must be available to teach face-to-face sections at various times during the week.
Master’s degree in Sociology or related subject area. Teaching experience at the post-secondary level and familiarity with Moodle a plus.
Opportunities to teach both developmental and curriculum level Sociology courses. Primarily instruction and public service and those forms of research which promote and enhance the college’s commitment to excellence in instruction and which supports the current needs of the students and faculty; developing curriculum; maintaining professional competence. Faculty members are responsible to a department/division chair or team facilitator, sometimes a coordinator. The relationship of the faculty member to the student is one of leader, teacher, and facilitator of learning.
- Maintains updated course syllabi and provide each student with a written statement of course requirements at the beginning of the semester including texts, course content and competencies and evaluation.
- Prepares course materials; use appropriate teaching techniques including delivering lectures, leading discussions and conducting laboratory demonstrations; and perform other activities, which are related to and meet the requirements of the courses.
- Conducts evaluations of student performance and assign grades on the basis of such evaluations.
- Maintains records of student attendance and grades according to college and state policy and procedure.
- Responsible for the development and revision of course content, textbook/equipment selection, instructional materials and teaching assignments/scheduling.
- Responsible for administering student surveys in classes as prescribed by College procedure and discussing results with department chair.
- Maintains professional skills and subject expertise through continual study and research in discipline and through involvement in professional organizations.
- Donates academic expertise in the local, state or national community when appropriate to fulfill the community relations goals of the College.
- Supports and encourages college-sponsored activities.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as required.
How to Apply
To Apply Submit:
- Official Haywood Community College employment application online found at www.haywood.edu, click on the Jobs tab then select position applying for.
- Application must be complete for consideration- do not reference resume. Unofficial transcripts will be accepted for the application process. Most unofficial transcripts can be downloaded from college/university websites.
- Must provide 3 professional references with email addresses. References may not be current HCC employee.
- College screening committee is responsible for application review, interviews, and recommends the final candidate to the college president.
- HCC is a tobacco free campus.
HCC is an Equal Employment Opportunity Institution