- Instructional (Faculty)
Closes: Friday, November 3, 2017
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Master’s degree in Physics or a master’s degree plus 18 graduate hours in Physics from a regionally accredited institution.
- Ability to teach courses offered in college transfer including, but not limited to Conceptual Physics, College Physics and General Physics.
- Ability to advise students, complete required reports, assist the department chair as needed, participate in college projects/committees as assigned.
- Ability to demonstrate the following: operating within standards of ethical behavior, commitment to lifelong learning, college-level communication skills, critical thinking skills, global awareness, information literacy, community involvement, scientific and quantitative literacy.
- Ability to carry out institutional effectiveness activities and participate in the life of the college (e.g. serve on committees, do advisement, participate in activities).
- Ability to work both with adults and high school age students.
- Excellent interpersonal relation skills.
- Desire to use or learn to use technology (e.g. Internet-based tools and/or other software packages) to deliver instruction.
- Desire to participate in community service activities and incorporate into class projects.
- Desire to participate in professional development activities, including those related to the use of critical thinking skills in instructional design and in student development.
- Willingness to participate in public school and university articulation, advisement, and recruitment programs of the College.
- Willingness to teach in the summer, day, evening, on Saturday, at unconventional times, or via distance learning (i.e., interactive TV, telecourse, Internet) as necessary.
- Commitment to the community college "open door" philosophy and the comprehensive community college concept.
- Commitment to further develop competencies in the college general education core in students and self.
- Instructional experience at the college level (preferably community college) in physics.
- Instructional experience in adult learning/education.
- Additional graduate course work in mathematics or engineering.
- Education/training in education/pedagogy.
- Successful experience delivering instruction via the Internet and/or two-way video.
- Experience with Datatel Colleague and/or WebAdvisor.
- Experience with basic computer software such as Microsoft Office.
Since quality instruction is the primary function of the college, it is the principal responsibility of each instructor to effectively and efficiently stimulate learning in every course. In addition each faculty member should provide guidance to students through their role as an academic advisor and in more informal ways. Additionally, each faculty member is expected to participate in the governance of the college through committees and divisional meetings, through shared leadership within and across divisions, through personal recommendations to college administrators, and through participation in the Faculty Senate.
How to Apply
The successful candidate should expect to begin full time work January 2, 2018. Salary dependent upon qualifications, experience, and labor market. Contract is for nine months, paid in 12 monthly installments. Part-time classes and other supplemental work may be available for the summer semester. Excellent references from previous employers must be furnished upon request.
A completed Southeastern Community College application (located on the SCC website), a resume including a detailed description of prior coaching experiences, letter of interest addressing the requirements and educational transcripts (unofficial copies of transcripts will be sufficient for the screening process, but official copies must be submitted prior to employment) must be submitted to the college Human Resources Office in order for applicants to be considered for this position. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Applicants should send all documents and inquiries to the Human Resources Office, Southeastern Community College, P.O. Box 151, Whiteville, NC 28472. Telephone (910) 642-7141, extension 310. www.sccnc.edu
An Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Job Post Contact