Closes: Friday, July 1, 2022
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Associate degree with at least two years of experience in higher education, or any equivalent combination of training and experience, which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Bachelor’s degree preferred. Ability to speak Spanish preferred.
The Academic Advisor is responsible for supporting and assisting students with achieving their educational goals by providing enrollment, advising, and registration assistance for both credit and non-credit program of study and courses.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Provide advising to students in individual and group settings, including discussions of life and educational goals, educational planning, review of entry assessment information and course selection in accordance with program specific education plans.
- Advise students on degree planning, transfer planning, as well as program opportunities and requirements.
- Maintain knowledge of transfer articulation agreements such as the NC Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (“CAA”), course equivalency tables, bi-lateral agreements specific to certain academic programs, transfer resources, requirements, and regulations.
- Use early alert/advising system to monitor student grades, progress, and attendance to intervene as needed.
- Connect students to resources and support services such as myBCC Connect portal, financial aid, career services, disability services and tutoring/writing center.
- Provide students with in-depth college information and policy interpretation relevant to their academic progress (i.e. graduation requirements, transfer information, counselors, etc.).
- Review college transfer coursework to determine initial educational plan.
- Knowledgeable about specific populations and their unique challenges and barriers.
- Facilitate development of educational plan for suspended and probationary students according to college policy.
- Monitor advisees’ progress and provide regular, customized feedback to student.
- Periodically review grades throughout the semester and follow up with students according to policy and procedures.
- Collaborate and assist with the orientation of new students.
- Attends conferences/seminars and staff professional development courses as required.
- Serves on appointed institutional committees as needed.
- Maintain a professional and positive relationship with students, faculty, staff, and outside constituents.
- Ability to work flexible hours.
- Performs other duties as required.