Closes: Monday, January 31, 2022
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Associate degree in Student Services, Psychology, Sociology, Social Work, Education or related area and one year of student advising experience at the college level or Equivalent combination of education and experience
Bachelor’s degree Student Services, Psychology, Sociology, Social Work, Education or related area
Academic Advisor position available in Academic Advising & Transfer department serving multi-campus.
Anticipated hiring date: January 16, 2022 or February 2, 2022.
Work Schedule: TBD
Hours per week: 40 hours
The Academic Advisor role is responsible for providing holistic academic advising to students from entry to completion. The Academic Advisor assists students with the development of a comprehensive academic plan by assessing academic, personal needs and career goals. They are also responsible for keeping up to date notes and information about students using a case management approach that leverages the use of college CRM and other tools.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
1. Advises students in our One College Model. This includes Corporate and Continuing Education (CCE), College and Career Readiness (CCR), and Curriculum (CU) students.
2. Assists students in self-exploration to develop educational plans that are consistent with students’ goals, interests, strengths, and values.
3. Participates in a case management approach using AVISO to track student progress; communicates and collaborates with students, faculty and staff to ensure student learning and success.
4. Provides success coaching to explore student strengths, identify challenges, and create strategies for success.
5. Performs Standards of Progress (SOP) interventions to keep students on their academic track.
6. Reviews student transcripts to determine course selection within program of study.
7. Facilitates new student groups to identify programs of study, build guided pathway plan, and initiate student advisor assignments.
8. Educates students about curricular requirements, academic standards, and academic milestones related to an intended/chosen academic program.
9. Collaborates with college navigators to maintain a caseload of advisees for outreach communication and academic program support.
10. Provides coaching and assistance for students to assess their degree progress through to graduation.
11. Refers students to campus resources, programs, and support systems that promote academic success, career development, experience learning, and engagement in a chosen career field.
12. Ensures student compliance with academic policies and procedures.
13. Utilizes technology that supports best practices in case management advising strategy (such as Aviso, Colleague, Student Planning).
14. Collaborates with faculty to ensure student success in their chosen academic pathway.
15. Participates in outreach activities such as speaking to classes, presenting in departments, and supporting Student Affairs activities.
16. Participates in a comprehensive professional advisor development training.
17. Participates in college and departmental evaluations as part of the annual review process.
18. Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Characteristics
Detailed knowledge of college processes relating to students
Familiarity with student services offered by the college
Ability to provide consistently high quality customer service
Ability to work with individuals from diverse backgrounds
Ability to work productively with many different case management teams for individual students
How to Apply
Job Post Contact