Closes: Friday, October 14, 2022
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Bachelor’s degree in social work, psychology, sociology or an appropriate field related to project objectives, from a regionally accredited institution.
- Minimum of two years of work experience with Trio programs, academic support programs, or similar programs for low-income, first-generation youth.
- Master's degree in a discipline listed above from a regionally accredited institution acceptable.
- Professional or personal experience overcoming barriers like those of the targeted population.
To implement the goals and objectives of the Educational Talent Search Program. To identify and recruit qualified youth with the potential for education at the post-secondary level and provide supportive services to encourage high school graduation, college enrollment and completion.
- Conduct informative and motivational workshops to area middle and high schools to recruit participants
- Provide individual and group counseling to participants
- Provide career and academic advisement, administer and interpret academic and career assessments to determine services needed to achieve educational goals.
- Monitor participants’ academic progress and provide intervention strategies as needed to assist and encourage students to successfully progress through school.
- Provide information on applying for college, financial aid, financial literacy, and other pertinent topics to participants
- Maintain participant files on database with required eligibility documentation, academic records, and student contacts
- Establish and maintain a positive rapport with target schools and community organizations
- Identify certified personnel to tutor students; monitor, evaluate, and supervise tutoring labs at target schools
- Submit required program and administrative reports in a timely manner
- Assist with planning college visits and cultural activities for participants
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Director of Educational Talent Search and the Dean of Student Services
Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of TRiO Programs
- Two years' work experience as a counselor/advisor with low income, first generation, multicultural and diverse middle and high school students
- Work experience in counseling/advising students in the areas of academic/career development, college admissions and financial aid advisement
- Ability to work evenings and occasional weekends
- Demonstrated computer skills including proficiency with MS Office applications, database management and presentation software
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated organizational skills and the ability to be a self-starter
- Willingness to work with a team to accomplish program goals
- Willingness to participate in professional development activities
- Valid driver’s license and the ability to travel to target schools
- Commitment to the community college "open door" philosophy and the comprehensive community college concept
- Excellent references from previous employers
How to Apply
The starting date for the positions is negotiable. Salary is dependent upon qualifications, experience, and labor market. Excellent references from previous employers must be furnished upon request.
A completed Southeastern Community College application (located on the SCC website), a resume, letter of interest addressing the requirements and educational transcripts (unofficial copies of transcripts will be sufficient for the screening process, but official copies must be submitted prior to employment) must be submitted to the college Human Resources Office in order for applicants to be considered for this position. Initial review of applications will be October 14, 2022 and continue until filled the position is filled.
Applicants should send all documents and inquiries to the Human Resources Office, Southeastern Community College, P.O. Box 151, Whiteville, NC 28472. Telephone (910) 642-7141, extension 246. www.sccnc.edu
An Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Job Post Contact