Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College
Asheville, North Carolina
Closes: Friday, May 20, 2022
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
***IMPORTANT NOTE TO APPLICANTS***
When Human Resources receives enough qualified applications, we will move forward regardless of the posted close date (required field), but the position will remain open until filled.
Minimum Requirements (Applicant must meet all of the minimum requirements)
1. Master’s degree;
2. One year of full-time or equivalent experience in one of the following areas: academic advising at the K-12 or college level, university admissions advising, counseling in an educational setting, and/or instruction in an educational setting, either at the K-12 or college level.
1. Experience with Colleague or computerized college information systems in general;
2. One year of full-time or equivalent experience working either in a community college setting or working directly with the NC Comprehensive Articulation Agreement at a UNC system school or the Independent Comprehensive Articulation Agreement;
3. Experience with A-B Tech pathways;
4. Experience with A-B Tech curricula;
5. Experience working with demographically diverse college students.
6. Proficiency in a foreign language such as Spanish, an East Slavic language, and/or American Sign Language.
Job Description Summary
Provide advising and course selection based on program and/or intended four-year program of study. Follow up with students identified as ‘at risk’ based on the College’s Early Alert process. Understand and interpret placement, college policies, procedures, and degree requirements, and refer to campus services as necessary.
1. Academic advising, including scheduling, registration, and graduation readiness.
2. Lead advisor for specialized pathways (education, computers, etc.).
3. Assist students with the overall enrollment process, including basic financial aid information, placement, and placement score interpretation.
4. Understand, and interpret, the North Carolina Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA), the Independent Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (ICAA), and the baccalaureate degree plans provided by the participating NC four-year universities.
5. Serve as an information resource and respond to inquiries from parents, students, faculty, and staff by maintaining knowledge of program and transfer requirements and regulations.
6. Provide assistance to the distance advisor for online student enrollment and advising.
7. Assist students with understanding the program evaluation process in Self Service.
8. Work with students to facilitate completion, identifying students who are close to completion and proactively reaching out to facilitate enrollment in final classes and submission of Completion Applications.
9. Follow up with students identified as ‘at risk’ by faculty via the Early Alert process, connecting them with appropriate community resources or College services related to financial, professional, and related personal or academic concerns.
10. Connect students to senior institutions through coordination of college visits, transfer college fairs, and field trips to college/university visitation days.
11. Serve on college committees as requested.
12. Assist with program and college recruitment efforts.
13. Contributes to the overall success of the Program Advising Center by remaining competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development sessions, and attending training.
14. Communicates proactively with students about the advising process and other aspects of their enrollment and educational plan.
15. Support faculty advisors by contributing to activities including but not limited to: leading professional development sessions on the topic of academic advising, creating content for advising training online course, answering faculty advisors’ questions, and maintaining advising support documents.
16. Teaches 3 courses each calendar year.
17. Contributes to the College Vision, Mission, Values, and RISE statement.
18. Supports workforce diversity in all its aspects.
19. Performs other duties as assigned.