Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College
Asheville, North Carolina
Closes: Wednesday, August 12, 2020
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Minimum Requirements (Applicant must meet all of the minimum requirements)
1. Must have a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree;
2. One year of full-time or part-time equivalent experience in one of the following areas: college or university academic advising, university admissions advising or instruction in Arts and Sciences;
3. Experience working with demographically diverse college students.
1. Master’s degree;
2. Experience with Colleague or computerized college information systems in general;
3. One year of full-time or equivalent experience working either in a community college setting or working directly with the NC Comprehensive Articulation Agreement at a UNC system school or the Independent Comprehensive Articulation Agreement;
4. Experience with A-B Tech pathways;
5. Experience with A.A., A.S., A.E., and A.F.A. degree programs at A-B Tech;
6. Experience with A-B Tech curricula;
7. Proficiency in a foreign language such as Spanish, an East Slavic language, and/or American Sign Language.
Job Description Summary
Advise students in the Associate in Arts (A.A.), Associate in Science (A.S.), Associate in Fine Arts (A.F.A.), and Associate in Engineering (A.E.) degree programs and in bilateral articulation agreements. Provide advising in transfer strategy (including eight-semester plans) and course selection based on intended four-year program of study. Follow up with students identified as ‘at risk’ based on the College’s Early Alert process. Understand and interpret placement, college policies, procedures, and degree requirements, and refer to campus services as necessary. Assist with advisor assignments.
1. Understands, interprets, and applies A-B Tech pathways for students in the Associate in Arts (A.A.), Associate in Science (A.S.), Associate in Fine Arts (A.F.A.), and Associate in Engineering (A.E.) degree programs.
2. Provides academic advising, including scheduling, registration, and graduation readiness for college transfer program students.
3. Serves as lead advisor for specialized pathways (computers, etc.).
4. Assists students with the overall enrollment process, including basic financial aid information, placement, and placement score interpretation.
5. Understands and interprets the North Carolina Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA), the Independent Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (ICAA), bilateral articulation agreements, and the eight semester plans provided by the participating NC four-year universities.
6. Serves as an information resource and respond to inquiries from parents, students, faculty, and staff by maintaining knowledge of transfer program requirements and regulations.
7. Provides assistance to the distance advisor for online student enrollment and advising.
8. Assists students with understanding the program evaluation process in WebAdvisor.
9. Assists with advisor assignments.
10. Works with students to facilitate completion, identifying students who are close to completion and proactively reaching out to facilitate enrollment in final classes and submission of Completion Applications.
11. Follows up with transfer program students identified as ‘at risk’ by faculty via the Early Alert process, connecting them with appropriate community resources or College services related financial, professional, and related personal or academic concerns.
12. Connects students to senior institutions through coordination of college visits, transfer college fairs, and field trips.
13. Assists with transfer program and college recruitment efforts.
14. Contributes to the overall success of the University Transfer Advising Center by remaining competent and current through self- directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development sessions, and attending training.
15. Contributes to the College Vision, Mission, Values, and Welcoming College statement.
16. Supports workforce diversity in all its aspects.
17. Performs other duties as assigned.