Closes: Wednesday, November 30, 2022
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- 2 years of experience working with students in post-secondary education or related experience
- Master’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- 4 years of experience working with post-secondary students or related experience
- Experience providing academic advising in a higher education environment
- Bilingual (English/Spanish)
The Academic Advisor/Engagement and Retention Coach provides learning-centered academic advising and case management to assist students through a guided pathway experience that aligns with their life and career goals. The position reports directly to the Director, Academic Advising and has the following responsibilities:
Essential Job Functions:
- Utilizes developmental, strength-based and learning-centered advising approaches to provide comprehensive, culturally responsive, proactive advising to students.
- Assists students in developing and navigating a guided pathway from entry to completion to include understanding the various academic transfer and professional/technical programs and degrees/diplomas certificates options the college offers.
- Assists students with creating comprehensive customized educational plans to ensure their success; monitors academic performance, and guides students to successful completion of their graduation requirements.
- Assists students on academic warning, probation and suspension in identifying and understanding problems or concerns that affect academic achievement, provides appropriate interventions and supports achievement of academic success by referring students to institutional and/or community resources as appropriate.
- Utilizes early alert technologies and strategies for outreach and track student academic progress.
- Develops success plans to improve student retention, progression, and completion, including developing, delivering and sponsoring workshops, seminars etc. on student success strategies.
- Acts as a level 3 screener for the Single Stop program to identify support resources available to meet student’s personal and financial need.
- Develops strategies and activities to promote student engagement to target improving academic performance, program completion, college transfer, advising services and registration.
- Assists with the development and delivery of program services, engagement opportunities that address academic persistence and completion and assist with outreach and retention activities.
- Participates in the development and implementation of new student orientation and in the development of advising materials, including e-advising services and processes that facilitate an efficient and effective advising system.
- Collaborates and communicates with faculty and staff throughout the College to remain knowledgeable about programs and services and acts as a liaison with academic programs and services.
- Engages in professional development activities, including but not limited to, memberships in professional organizations, workshops, academic department training sessions, and conferences, staying abreast of current academic advising approaches and resources
- Maintains sensitivity, understanding and respect for a diverse academic environment, inclusive of students, faculty, and staff of varying social, economic, cultural, ideological, and ethnic backgrounds
- Critically evaluates advising practices and College processes and provide ideas for improvement when needed
- Actively participates in planning and decision-making for student success initiatives
- Participates in campus committees and attends College and division events and meetings
- Supports the mission, vision, and values of the College
- Performs other duties as assigned which support the purpose and initiatives of the College