Closes: Friday, September 29, 2023
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Bachelor’s degree from accredited college or university
- 2 years of experience working with students or related experience
- Master’s degree in higher education administration, student development, education or related field from an accredited institution
- 4 years of experience working with students or related experience
- Experience providing academic advising in a higher education environment
- Bilingual (English/Spanish)
The Academic Advisor/Engagement and Retention Coach plays a pivotal role in supporting students' academic success, engagement, and overall retention within the educational institution. This role involves providing personalized guidance, mentoring, and coaching to students to enhance their educational experience, help them achieve their academic goals, and promote their persistence throughout their academic journey. The position reports directly to the Senior Director, Student Engagement & Success and has the following responsibilities:
Essential Job Functions:
- Provide proactive and responsive academic advising to a designated caseload of students, helping them navigate curriculum requirements, course selection, and degree planning.
- Offer guidance on academic policies, procedures, and resources available to students, ensuring they are aware of the tools and opportunities at their disposal.
- Assist students in identifying their strengths, weaknesses, interests, and career aspirations, and tailor academic plans accordingly.
- Implement strategies to foster student engagement and promote a sense of belonging within the institution, ultimately contributing to higher student retention rates.
- Monitor students' academic progress and identify early warning signs of academic difficulties or disengagement. Intervene and provide support as needed to prevent attrition.
- Collaborate with faculty and other departments to create initiatives that enhance student involvement in campus life, extracurricular activities, and academic communities.
- Collaborate with students to develop personalized academic plans aligned with their goals, ensuring they make timely progress towards graduation.
- Assist in course selection, sequencing, and registration, taking into account individual preferences and degree requirements.
- Support students in exploring academic and career pathways, facilitating the connection between their education and future aspirations.
- Maintain accurate and updated student records, documenting advising interactions, progress, and interventions.
- Generate reports and analyze data to assess the effectiveness of engagement and retention initiatives, identifying areas for improvement.
- Stay updated on educational trends, advising best practices, and research related to student engagement and retention.
- Participate in professional development opportunities, workshops, and conferences to enhance advising skills and knowledge.
- Acts as a level 3 screener for the Single Stop program to identify support resources available to meet student’s personal and financial needs.
- Supports the mission, vision, and values of the College
- Performs other duties as assigned which support the purpose and initiatives of the College