Central Carolina Community College
1105 Kelly Drive
Sanford, NC 27330
$33,627.00 - $48,927.00
Opens: Wednesday, May 1, 2019
Closes: Thursday, May 16, 2019
Closes: Thursday, May 16, 2019
Target Start Date
Monday, June 3, 2019
Expected Work Hours
Mon-Thurs 7:45 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Fri 7:30 to 3:30 p.m.
12 Month Contract
- Bachelor's degree required in Education, Social Science, Counseling, teaching content area, or related field.
- A minimum of two (2) years of related work experience;
- Experience teaching, advising, or counseling high school students in preparation for college entrance;
- Experience coordinating academic services;
- Experience working with low-income or first generation students in an educational setting.
- Master's degree;
- Educational background in a STEM field;
- Experience teaching in a core subject area at the high school level;
- Experience working in higher education;
- Experience working in a TRIO program or other similar program for disadvantaged students;
- Experience supervising staff;
- Personal experience overcoming academic, cultural, financial, or other obstacles similar to those faced by low-income or first-generation students participating in the Upward Bound program.
The Academic Coordinator of TRiO Upward Bound programs coordinates the academic components of three (3) Upward Bound programs serving approximately 180 high school students in Harnett and Lee Counties.
- Coordinate, supervise, and maintain documentation of all academic components of the Upward Bound programs, including but not limited to academic instruction, tutoring, course selection, and ACT/SAT/EOC test preparation;
- Assist Director with hiring, training, supervising, and evaluating all part-time academic instructors and tutors;
- Establish and maintain partnerships with all target school guidance staff and faculty as well as CCCC faculty and other members of the academic community to promote the academic achievement of participating students;
- Monitor and document the academic progress of all Upward Bound participants, including collecting and analyzing progress reports, report cards, and transcripts;
- Identify the academic needs of Upward Bound participants and coordinate or implement individualized academic interventions as appropriate;
- Conduct monthly school visits and provide individual and group advising to support students' academic success, high school graduation, and enrollment in postsecondary education in two (2) assigned high schools;
- Develop strong relationships with students and families from assigned high schools to promote student growth and engagement in the program;
- Collaborate with Program Manager and local school district personnel to recruit and retain at least 60 participants per program each year, including attending school events and making presentations at assigned high schools;
- Coordinate and maintain documentation of tutoring services;
- Coordinate and supervise the academic components of the Upward Bound summer programs, including academic instruction in mathematics, literature and composition, science, and foreign language, hands-on workshops, ACT/SAT preparation, and enrollment in college-level courses;
- Provide high school course selection advising;
- Provide advising on re-entry to secondary education as needed;
- Manage the inventory of instructional supplies for participants and instructors and distribute or request supplies as needed;
- Develop forms and records to document program activities and maintain documentation of services in electronic database and participant files;
- Engage with other TRiO staff members to provide formative assessment and continuous improvement of program delivery;
- Assist with completing program evaluations and reports, including Department of Education Annual Performance Report;
- Complete the annual five-hour staff development requirement.
- Submit records and forms in a timely fashion as required in the policy and procedures manual.
- Encourage and support College activities, policies, procedures, and philosophies.
- Actively participate in professional organizations.
- Other duties as assigned.