Closes: Monday, May 31, 2021
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution in accounting or finance required.
- Minimum of three years of experience in accounting required.
- Strong analytical skills required.
- Knowledge of College policies as well as applicable North Carolina and federal guidelines required.
- Knowledge of Uniform Guidance for Administration of Federal Grants required.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite with intermediate to advanced Excel skills required.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills and organizational skills required.
- Ability to function as a team leader required.
- Ability to demonstrate self-motivation and attention to details required.
- Excellent customer service skills required.
- Ability to work effectively with all levels of personnel required.
- Minimum of three years of experience in budget accounting or grants accounting preferred.
- Experience in higher education preferred.
Open until filled; review of applications will begin 11/27/2020
Performs various duties that involve independent and responsible judgment in accordance with established procedures associated with county, institutional, state, and federally sponsored budgets or budgets with funding from multiple sources. Performs a variety of complex budget and administrative tasks related to preparing, maintaining, and reviewing budget activities, analyzing budgets and expenses, developing and forecasting budgets, creating financial reports, adjusting and reconciling budgets. Provides analytical and management support for activities related to grants. Coordinates the proper and timely expenditure of grant funds in compliance with applicable guidelines and budget deadlines and prepares and submits required reports by the deadlines. Provides excellent customer service to College personnel with questions concerning budgets in use and available for use.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs account monitoring/auditing, balancing/reconciling budgets to approved allotments, researching and resolving any discrepancies for all assigned accounts.
- Gathers and summarizes data; conducts research and analyzes data; forecasts budget changes, realignment of budget, and recommends additional funding needs. Researches and resolves problems and issues and prepares and/or processes the reclassification and/or transferring journal entries and/or budget revision entries.
- Interacts and consults with appropriate College administrators and account managers to design and maintain effective budget controls. Assists staff with all purchasing processes related to assigned units (may be involved with entering and monitoring requisitions, reviewing and processing invoices, P-cards/gas cards reconciliations, etc.).
- Reviews and approves e-procurement orders and purchase requisitions. Specifically ensures correct account coding and budget availability prior to approving orders for payment. Communicates with departments to solve discrepancies prior to approving for payment.
- Assists the assigned units with year-end closing processes and new-year budget development.
- Understands and maintains working knowledge of budget guidelines and procedures. Communicates and provides necessary training and guidance to budget customers to make sure the latest budget guidelines and procedures are followed.
- Assists account managers and staff in preparing financial forms related to the assigned accounts, understanding of the North Carolina Chart of Accounts and guidelines, reviewing their approved budgets versus actual expenses, outstanding encumbrances and available funds/deficits and advises divisions and/or departments of the next steps.
- Assists Controller with the equipment committee. Communicates with departments for equipment requests. Collects, summarizes, and prioritizes equipment requests, assigns account codes, and participates in the equipment committee meetings.
- Monitors budgets and approves expenditures related to federal and state grants. Provides analytical and management support for activities related to grants.
- Researches issues, prepares invoices/billing, and collects funds for the support of restricted fund expenditures.
- Researches and interprets compliance issues for state and federal grant programs including Uniform Guidance (2CFR200).
- Assists in developing, evaluating, and recommending revisions to accounting and fiscal budget procedures and processes.
- Coordinates with key personnel at all levels to support proper and timely expenditure of grant funds in compliance with applicable guidelines and budget deadlines. Prepares and submits required reports by the deadline.
- Interacts with internal and external auditors, participates in audit support and/or provides information and access to accounting records as required.
- Analyzes daily operations for system problems; identifies causes and recommends solutions.
- Prepares various complex analytical reports and materials for various internal and external agencies and administrators. Compiles year-end reports to complete the yearly audit of the College’s awards/grants.
- Assists Controller with year-end closing entries, financial statement preparation, State Controllers CARF reporting package, footnote preparation, MD&A, and cash flow statement. Areas of responsibility include, but not limited to, overseeing year-end inventories, calculations of accrued leave payable, accounts payable, part-time payroll payable, prepaid expenses, accounts receivable, allowance for bad debts, and leases.
- Prepares lab fee revenue and expense reports each semester for distribution to department heads and deans.
- Prepares revenue and expense reports monthly for student clubs for distribution to department heads, deans, and faculty advisors.
- Prepares monthly sales tax reports and files with the North Carolina Department of Revenue.
- Provides excellent customer service, must be able to work well with others, and serves as back-up to other staff within Accounting Services.
- Maintains a high standard of professionalism in representing the College including confidentiality in all aspects of the position’s responsibilities and adherence to policies, procedures, and other established guidelines. Adheres to professional accountability and accepts responsibility for managing situations and problems. Works cooperatively with team members and colleagues, contributing positively and constructively to the achievement of team and College objectives and provide a high level of service to customers by establishing and maintaining effective working relationships and partnerships.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact