100 College Drive
Weldon, NC 27890
Closes: Friday, February 14, 2020
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Accounting, Business Administration, or Business Management and Four Years’ related experience OR Associate’s degree in Accounting or Business Administration and an equivalent combination of education and experience OR high school diploma and an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Community College or Grant monitoring experience
- Colleague experience
The Accountant –Special Projects is responsible for providing administrative support to the Controller, Senior Accountant, and Vice-President of Administrative Services by performing a variety of diversified duties in accordance with established policies, procedures, and regulations. This position performs duties related to budgeting and accounting transactions, reviewing grant and special project activity for financial and regulatory compliance, preparing reports, assisting with the entire accounting system, reconciling accounts, inventory, Foundation accounting, general office support, petty cash, backup to front reception area, and in other areas of Financial Services as needed. This position affects the integrity of the financial information presented by the College related to grants, Foundation, and accounting for the College as a whole. This is a 25% grant funded position.
- Cooperatively works with the Controller and other members within Administrative Services to ensure daily operations are efficient, accurate, and timely
- Regularly reviews reports and data for accuracy; researches, verifies, and implements resolutions for any discrepancy; informs Controller of findings and results
- Routinely reviews existing internal controls against current regulatory requirements and recommends process improvements to the Controller for implementation
- Becomes familiar with other processes within the Administrative Services department and has the ability to fill in as directed by the Controller
- Works in partnership with the Controller and Senior Accountant in preparing the required fiscal year end reports for submission to outside agencies in order to meet published deadlines
- Posts journal entries for all electronic deposits made to the College from outside agencies and any related check requests
- Assists Senior Accountant with grant accounting; works cooperatively with the Senior Accountant to ensure the accurate recording of grant budgets
- Serves as petty cash custodian
- Involved with annual inventory checking and reporting to NCCCS
- Accounting and reporting for Foundation accounting
- Provides general office support
- Serves as back up to the front receptionist
- Attends training and conferences as necessary to remain current in Federal and local compliance requirements on grants; and actively participates in staff development workshops, staff meetings and serves on College committees as assigned
Performs other job-related duties and projects as assigned in support of the department, unit and College’s mission, core values and goals
How to Apply
MUST READ Special Instructions and Additional Information to Applicants:
INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE PROCESSED.
Resumes are not accepted in lieu of state applications. "See Attached Resume", etc. will result in an incomplete application. Resumes, cover letters, and all transcripts listed on application must be uploaded with your application or this will also result in an incomplete application. Official transcripts must be submitted to the Human Resources Director within (15) days upon hiring.
All applications must be submitted directly via our online application system at https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/halifaxcc. Applications submitted through third party sites will not be accepted. Application packets for employment must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the closing date. If multiple applications are submitted to an individual posting, only the most recent application received prior to the posting close date will be accepted.
Resumes are not accepted in lieu of state applications. "See Attached Resume", etc. will result in an incomplete application. Resumes, cover letters, and all transcripts listed on application must be uploaded with your application.
To receive credit, all relevant experience must be included in the work history section of the application. Any information omitted from the application but included in the resume will not be considered for qualifying credit.
Persons eligible for Veteran's Preference must submit a copy of Form DD-214.