200 W. Jones Street, Raleigh, NC 27603
Closes: Thursday, January 21, 2021
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Bachelor’s degree in accounting, or a degree in business administration, finance or public administration or a related discipline from an appropriately accredited institution with 18 semester hours of accounting coursework; and five years of professional accounting experience in the preparation of interpretive or analytical accounting/ financial statements; of which at least one is supervisory; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
DESCRIPTION OF WORK: The primary purpose of this position is to serve as the Director of State Aid Funds for the Division of Finance & Operations. The State Aid unit ensures that operating funds totaling over $1 billion appropriated to the State Board of Community Colleges are utilized within the Community College System in accordance with established policies, rules and regulations of the State and Federal governments and the State Board of Community Colleges.
This unit approves, administers, and monitors all budget and cash allocated for the operation of the 58 community colleges. This position will provide overall management and direction to the State Aid Funds unit in the management of reporting formats, various funding sources, and the diverse and numerous fiscal operations performed by accountants and accounting technicians that support the 58 community colleges and community-based organizations allocated funds.
This position provides direct assistance to the Associate Vice President and Chief Financial Officer to address complex financial management decisions, budget development, system changes, accounting policies and procedures, statutory reporting requirements, forecasting cash requirements and allocation of funds to the 58 community colleges. This position consults and communicates with System Office staff, Office of the State Auditor, Office of the State Controller, Office of State Budget & Management, Office of the State Treasurer, Fiscal Research staff, State Board members, 58 community colleges and community-based organizations about varying fiscal policies and procedures, budget development and distribution and statutory reporting requirements both written and verbally.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Thorough knowledge of accounting principles and practices, governmental accounting and finances, programs and institutional fund accounting.
- Thorough knowledge of North Carolina General Statutes, the North Carolina Community College State Board Code and the North Carolina Community Colleges Accounting Procedures Manual
- Ability and knowledge to serve as a technical resource for the NC Community College System staff, the 58 community colleges and community-based organizations.
- Ability to research and independently resolve and/or develop recommendations for management on unprecedented complex issues and problems.
- Ability to use analysis and quantitative techniques to obtain solutions for unique and complex issues that are timely, accurate, flexible, economical, reliable, easy to understand and use and to provide these solutions to leadership, NC Community College System staff, the 58 community colleges and community-based organizations.
- Ability to interpret and analyze financial data and reports.
- Ability to communicate effectively and prepare written and/or technical documents following State and applicable Federal fiscal guidelines to senior management, the 58 community colleges, community-based organizations, and other state agency partners.
- Ability to follow state government policies and procedures in the recruitment and selection process of hiring employees, develop and implement work plans, conduct performance reviews, participate in counseling/coaching of staff; as demonstrated by a minimum of 1 year of supervision experience.
Preference will be given to applicants with the following: a working knowledge of the NC Community College System and activities specific to the State Aid business processes, a working knowledge of the community colleges chart of accounts structure, experience with public speaking and training to large groups and proficiency compiling, maintaining, and analyzing complicated spreadsheet reports in Microsoft Excel. Preferred supervision experience demonstrated by 2+ years of experience.
How to Apply
The North Carolina Community College System Office uses the Merit-Based Recruitment and Selection Plan to fill positions SUBJECT to the Office of State Human Resources Act (OSHR) with highly qualified individuals.
Individuals interested in applying for this position must complete the online process at https://www.nc.gov/jobs, Résumés will not be accepted in lieu of the application. Work history and credentials must appear on the application to receive consideration during the selection process.
Job Post Contact
APRIL TIBBS, RECRUITMENT ADMINISTRATOR
North Carolina Community College System
Human Resources | Caswell Building
5001 Mail Service Center | Raleigh, NC 27699-5001
Phone: (919) 807-7177 | Fax: (919) 807-7222