Closes: Monday, November 28, 2022
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Education and Experience Required:
- Associate’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, or related field, and 3 to 5 years of general ledger and grant accounting experience; or any equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office including Excel and Word.
Education and Experience Preferred:
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university in Accounting, Finance, or related field, and 1 to 3 years of general ledger accounting, or current academic studies progressing towards the attainment of a Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university in the above related fields of study.
- Working knowledge in GAAP and GASB as well as governmental accounting practice.
- Previous experience with using Datatel (Colleague) software program.
Under general supervision, an employee in this position has the responsibility for supporting the financial services operation and activities of the Finance / Business Services Department of the College. Duties related to this position focus on performing detail-oriented accounting work involving the classifying, posting, balancing, reconciling, and summarizing of financial transactions as they relate to federal, state, local, community college, foundation, and private grants. Duties assigned may vary according to the specific needs of the Division and/or allocation of workload. This position reports to the Senior Staff Accountant.
This position is assigned to the VGCC Main Campus in Henderson, NC; although, some travel to other counties in the college’s service area is possible. Consistent with VGCC’s Teleworking Policy, this position is eligible for up to 1 day per week of telework after the first 6 months of employment in this position.
The following listing of essential job duties indicates the general nature and level of work required in this job. This is not designed to be a comprehensive listing of all the activities, duties, or responsibilities that may be required in this job. Individuals assigned to this job may be asked to perform other duties as required. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the job.
- Maintain a system of financial accounting, reporting, and record keeping in accordance to Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Government Accounting Standards Board (GASB).
- Responsible for budgetary control and post-award compliance with federal, state, local, sponsor, and college regulations.
- Responsible for the invoicing and reconciliation processes related to funding drawdowns from external, federal, and state agencies.
- Responsible for the monitoring of grant activity including proper budget management, and unallowable expenses.
- Reconciles and prepares monthly and quarterly financial grant reports in according to generally accepted accounting procedures.
- Reviews expenditure reports for grants and reconciles monthly grant reports to funds received.
- Maintains monthly shared spreadsheets for current and pending federal, state, local, community college, foundation, and private grants.
- Attends monthly review meetings with the Grants Administrator and Senior Staff Accountant.
- Assists the Associate Vice-President of Finance & Operations and the Senior Staff Accountant with Grant Monitoring and Grant Audits.
- Communicate with faculty, staff, and outside contacts to provide financial and accounting information and support as needed.
- Processes Account Receivables billing and maintenance, and resolves any account errors.
- Assists the Student Accounts Technician during periods of high volume or on an as needed basis.
- Assists the Senior Staff Accountant with processing financial aid disbursements and returns.
- Maintain knowledge of internal control requirements.
- Perform other duties as assigned, including project and committee work.
- Cross-train on other Finance / Business Office functions.
- Light work that includes moving objects up to 30 pounds.
- Sedentary work that primarily involves sitting/standing.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact