Haywood Community College
185 Freedlander Dr
Clyde, NC 28721
Closes: Wednesday, July 15, 2020
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Associate degree in Business Administration or Accounting (or related field); two (2) to four (4) years direct purchasing experience. Have working knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and other Federal and State law; Understanding of the general ledger and budgeting; Strong analytical skills; Ability to work independently; Ability to multitask; Possess strong computer, internet, MS Office and 10 key skills; Strong communications skills (oral & verbal); possessing tact, energy and resourcefulness in dealing with a variety of situations and individuals.
Meet all minimum requirements and hold a Bachelor's Degree in related field.
Statement of Primary Purpose
The primary purpose of the Accounting Technician – Purchasing is to process all purchase orders for supplies, equipment, etc. and adhere to all State statutes and E-procurement guidelines.
- Be familiar with state purchasing procedures, state term contracts, benchmarks, limits, etc.
- Maintain and administer College E-Procurement program; including, but not limited to:
- Enter requisitions when necessary
- Reconcile and approve requisitions entered by staff to create purchase orders
- Set-up of new users and close out old users
- Contact vendors, E-Procurement with questions when necessary
- Maintain and update approval processes as needed
- Process all purchase orders via Ellucian (Datatel) for supplies, equipment, etc.
- Prepare e-quotes and bids adhering to HCC, NC Department of Administration, and NC Purchase and Contract benchmarks and guidelines
- Post bids to Interactive Purchasing System (IPS) for services or items not posted by NC P&C
- Notify departments if funds are not available for purchases
- Maintain and reconcile all purchase orders to ensure timely delivery and payment.
- Set-up and maintain vendor records
- Maintain equipment purchase files which includes:
- Process incoming invoices/receiving of new equipment for inventory
- Responsible for Quality Acceptance inspections when required
- Maintain inventory number database and “tag” inventory items as they are put into service
- Maintain and administer College PCARD program which includes:
- Reconcile monthly PCARD statement and submit to Accounts Payable
- Set-up of new accounts/close old accounts
- Contact bank with questions when needed
- Coordinate the College’s surplus equipment process:
- Facilitates the transfer and/or removal of fixed assets through redistribution to other community colleges, sale on the State Surplus website, cannibalization, recycling or disposal.
- Communicates with NCCCS personnel and the general public in regard to sale of college assets through the State Surplus website.
- Ensures college faculty and staff are properly educated on the correct process for disposal of fixed assets.
- Responsible for the proper disposal of surplus equipment.
- Responsible for HCC Club accounts – report to advisors and verify funds for purchases.
- Complete required reporting –HUB, Purchasing Flexibility, etc.
- Process monthly sales and use tax report
- Assist Accountant II which includes:
- Back-up for inventory control
- Perform additional accounting functions within the Business Office as assigned
- Assist Business Office Director and Vice President with general ledger accounting, budgeting, account/fund balancing and preparation of financial information as required to include annual financial statements
- Assist with cashier duties and other fiscal duties in the absence of business office staff.
- Participate in College activities, functions, and committees
Implement HCC Core Values
- Strive to improve self and department through continuous learning
- Create a student-centered environment
- Work toward operational excellence; continuous improvement of processes
- Implement innovative strategies to meet the needs of students and improve processes
- Interact with co-workers and perform tasks with the highest level of integrity
- Work cooperatively with faculty, staff, students, and the community
- Promote and support HCC’s mission, vision, and values.
- Promote and support coworkers in a positive manner.
·Implement HCC ELI Entrepreneurial Skills Sets
- Implement a team approach in the performance of tasks; work with others to analyze a situation, establish priorities, and apply resources for solving a problem or accomplishing a task
- Accept responsibility for job performance and assigned tasks; exhibit individual behaviors that support the official goals and objectives of the college and its members
- Communicate with students, faculty, and staff in a professional and timely manner
- Approach problems as a learning opportunity and implement strategies to reduce problems
- Maximize resources to process information; acquire, evaluate, organize, manage, interpret, and communicate information to coworkers, faculty, staff, and students
- Exhibit flexibility and receptivity to changing technologies, methods, processes, work environments, and organizational structure and practices.
Active NC Driver's License required if position requires the operation of college vehicle as part of duties. Satisfactory Motor Vehicle Background check required.
Must be able to remain stationary at a desk for extended periods of time; Some standing; Some walking; Bending; Reaching; Repetitive motion from computer/keyboard/switchboard usage.
Work is performed in an office environment.
Work environment involves minimal exposure to physical risks
Personal Protective Equipment
The college may from time to time provide safety training that includes the use of PPE equipment that may protect the user against the potential for health or safety risks at work
How to Apply
The following is necessary for consideration:
- Full job description and Official Haywood Community College employment application online found at our jobs page: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/haywoodedu
- The application must be complete for consideration - do not reference resume. A resume is suggested but does not take the place of any questions or details that you need to provide in order to be qualified for the position. Unofficial transcripts must be included for the application process. Most unofficial transcripts can be downloaded from college/university websites. Official transcripts of all secondary education must be submitted to Human Resources within 10 days of any offer of employment.
- References may not be current HCC employee. Candidates must provide three professional references with email addresses. At least one reference must be a current or previous supervisor.
- College screening committee is responsible for application review, interviews, and recommends the candidate to HR. Upon completion of the hire process in HR, President approval is required in the hire of a candidate.
- HCC is a tobacco free campus
HCC is an equal opportunity institution and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, gender, gender identity, sex, age, disability, genetic information and veteran status