Closes: Friday, April 9, 2021
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
> Associates Degree,
> Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, strong customer service skills,
> Ability to manage multiple projects, organizational and time management skills, and
> Ability to work within a team.
- Sit for long periods of time.
- Use their hands to handle, control, or feel objects, tools, or controls.
- Understand the speech of another person.
- Speak clearly so listeners can understand.
- Regularly work on repetitive tasks.
- Occasionally lift 5-10 pounds.
- Ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary
The administrative assistant fulfills a primary role as daytime front desk receptionist for the Business Development Center (BDC) and the Wilkes Community College (WCC) Alleghany Center. The administrative assistant serves as the first point of contact for the BDC and the WCC Alleghany Center. This person will also provide administrative support to the Workforce Development * Community Education (WDCE) Director for Ashe and Alleghany. This is a multi-faceted position, working with students, faculty, staff, and the community.
Work Schedule: 8 am – 5 pm M-F (lunch from 1-2 pm)
1) Work ranges from standardized office support assignments to the performance of administrative duties involving decision-making and judgment that would otherwise require the director’s direct attention.
2) Responsible for administrative details, which requires knowledge and understanding of the division programs, and policies and procedures.
3) Generalized office support activities include a significant concentration in public contact, composition, records, files, forms, and reports, including:
a. Performs front desk reception/telephone duties, including providing general information to the public about the division and the college;
b. Opens Alleghany Center daily;
c. Manages all room assignments and shared calendars in Microsoft SharePoint;
d. Manages laptop cart;
e. Drafts BDC board meeting minutes;
f. Assists BDC director with duties in his absence;
g. Maintains shared lobby space for the building;
h. Submits work orders needed for the building;
i. Manages classroom access;
j. Maintains pre-registration list for classes being offered each term, as well as create a list for potential classes that are requested and collecting contact information from potential students for follow-up;
k. Maintains departmental files, including files to ensure compliance with accrediting bodies;
l. Submits appropriate part-time instructor information, including contact information, to the Human Resource Office and Records Manager in a timely manner;
m. Obtains information for class supplies, materials, and equipment;
n. Processes forms for travel requests and reimbursement;
o. Assists with annual inventory of departmental equipment and supplies;
4) Supports the WDCE Director in the development of course schedules, including coordination of instructors’ schedules, room utilization, textbook orders, etc.;
5) Distributes/collects/verifies class rosters and student grade reports for classes, coordinating with the Records Manager for timely processing, as well as calculating FTE potential from attendance recorded;
6) Assists the division in the orientation of part-time instructors, including collection and distribution of information/forms, distribution of instructional materials, preparation of worksheets and contracts, etc.;
7) Coordinates the instructor evaluation process for classes offered;
8) Supports director in advising and registering students;
9) Participates in professional development activities;
10) Performs WDCE business office functions in coordination with the Alleghany Center Business Office, including the collection of tuition and fees and assisting with financial aid distribution;
11) Maintains a list of all active classes and communicate closely with Records Manager for college and state-mandated submission deadlines;
12) Assists in planning and conducting campus-wide events, including student activities, open houses, and trustee meetings;
13) Cross trains in the general bookstore and business office processes when appropriate;
14) Performs other related duties as assigned by supervisor.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact