Closes: Wednesday, March 31, 2021
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Associate Degree in a related field of study
Three years of related work experience preferred
Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Handle multiple tasks in a timely manner/ highly organized
Meet the demands of a highly computerized workplace
Ability to work independently and in teams
Strong interpersonal skills
Under the supervision of the Vice President of Academic Affairs (VPAA), the Administrative Assistant to the VP of Academic Affairs manages the daily activities of the office, administers the College’s student retention program (Aviso), prepares reports and other documents related to curriculum operations and activities, maintains all curriculum programs of study, and coordinates the submission of course offerings for each semester. The Administrative Assistant to the VPAA participates in on-going professional development, College events and activities, and fulfills committee responsibilities.
Examples of Duties:
50% Office Management
1. Maintain the Vice President of Academic Affairs’ calendar of meetings, appointments, and other daily events and perform general administrative assistant duties to include answering telephone/ recording messages for the Vice President of Academic Affairs, as well as greeting and directing office visitors appropriately.
2. Process incoming mail each day, checking contracts, requisitions, travel, etc. for accuracy, and maintaining required supplies and materials necessary for the operation of the VPAA’s office.
3. Prepare travel, purchase requisitions, memos and outside correspondence for the Vice President of Academic Affairs’ office.
4. Maintain the filing systems for the files located in the office of the Administrative Assistant to the Vice President of Academic Affairs.
5. Appropriately handle, transfer and maintain confidential hard/electronic class files, keeping private data secure.
6. Process leave requests and check monthly leave reports for those employees that report directly to the VPAA.
7. Attend and take minutes of the Academic Affairs Subcommittee of the BOT meetings and other meetings as assigned.
15% Aviso Administrator
1. Serve as HCC’s Aviso administrator for creating and deleting user accounts and troubleshooting issues that surface.
2. Manage and configure Aviso software, submit support tickets as needed, and provide updates to stakeholders regarding enhancements, new features, and early alerts.
3. Oversee training of personnel in the use of Aviso software.
15% Curriculum Programs of Study
1. Enter and maintain curriculum programs of study that have received NCCCS approval & curriculum committee approval and are offered by HCC into Colleague.
2. Assist with the preparation of new curriculum proposals when needed.
5% Serve as the Backup for Coordinating the Course Offering Listing for Each Semester
5% Professional Development
1. Pursue and complete professional development activities that relate to position when available and approved.
5% Support of Mission/Related Responsibilities
1. Serve on a College committee.
2. Participate in College events and activities.
3. Support and participate in the College’s QEP.
5% Additional Responsibilities
1. Maintain courses offered by HCC in Colleague.
2. Assist with the logistics and planning of faculty professional development days/events organized by the Office of Academic Affairs.
3. Perform other duties as assigned by the Vice President of Academic Affairs.
How to Apply
MUST READ Special Instructions and Additional Information to Applicants:
All applications for this position must be submitted directly via our online application system at https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/halifaxcc.
Applications submitted through third party sites will not be accepted. Application packets for employment must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the closing date. If multiple applications are submitted to an individual posting, only the most recent application received prior to the posting close date will be accepted. Resumes are not accepted in lieu of state applications. "See Attached Resume", etc. will result in an incomplete application. Resumes, cover letters, and all transcripts listed on application must be uploaded with your application. To receive credit, all relevant experience must be included in the work history section of the application. Any information omitted from the application but included in the resume will not be considered for qualifying credit. Persons eligible for Veteran's Preference must submit a copy of Form DD-214.