Closes: Friday, January 22, 2021
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
A bachelor’s degree in education, counseling, psychology or related field
Two years of successful admissions, advising or career counseling experience in a postsecondary institution or evidence of related experience
Master’s degree preferred
Job Title: Admissions Counselor
Department:Student Development and Support
Direct Reports: N/A
Minimum Qualifications: A bachelor’s degree in education, counseling, psychology or related field
Work Experience:Two years of successful admissions, advising or career counseling experience in a postsecondary institution or evidence of related experience
Preferred Qualifications : Master’s degree preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. A thorough understanding of and commitment to the community college mission and philosophy;
2. Solid understanding of college, state, and federal guidelines, policies, and legislation pertinent to ensuring integrity and retention of student records;
3. Ability to manage multiple tasks and meet multiple deadlines;
4. Personal integrity, honesty, and the ability to maintain confidentiality;
5. Ability to establish and maintain effective communication throughout the college and the community with students, administrators, faculty, staff, and outside constituencies;
6. Proficiency with college student information systems (e.g., Colleague or Banner), software (e.g., Microsoft Office Suite), and document imaging systems (e.g., Softdocs);
7. An affinity for organization, accuracy, and efficiency in a fast-paced environment;
8. Excellent interpersonal skills, customer service skills, oral and written correspondence skills, and public relations skills;
9. Knowledge of, and sensitivity to, the unique needs and expectations of students, faculty, and staff, and community groups; and
10. The ability to work with and support a diverse student population.
The Admissions Counselor serves to support processes within the Admissions, Registration, and Records (ARR) office. The Admissions Counselor is responsible for support of the admission and onboarding of students into credit and non-credit programs, including limited enrollment programs. The Admissions Counselor provides enrollment and registration support to students entering programs or coursework, application process management and verification of required documents, and a review of residency and application status to support quick and efficient processing of applications for admissions. The Admissions Counselor oversees and maintains the admittance of students into limited enrollment programs offered by the college. The Counselor engages in activities related to admissions, registration, and records processes, including the integration of the college’s credit and non-credit functions. In addition, this position will assist in support services within the office and elsewhere within the department. More specifically, and consistent with the employee’s current contract of employment, the Admissions Counselor is responsible for the following duties and responsibilities:
• Perform job duties and interact with all constituents in a manner that creates a friendly and supportive atmosphere for all;
• Provide both college enrollment and limited enrollment specific admissions guidance for students who need information or have questions about the enrollment steps or admissions process or need help deciding a program of study or coursework offered by the college best suited to meet the students’ goals, with an emphasis on the Health and Wellness pathway;
• Abide by procedures/workflows for effective office management, and ensure accuracy of student records in Colleague, Durham Tech’s student information system, for compliance with all external accrediting and reporting agencies;
• Maintain current knowledge of admissions, registration, and records policies, procedures, workflows, and systems including College Foundation of North Carolina (CFNC) and Residency Determination System (RDS) to request updates to student records in Colleague;
• Provide backup support for document scanning (admission/registration forms, admissions packets, registration forms, non-credit applications, etc.); verify accuracy and archive documents into the student electronic record using the college’s data imaging software;
• Ensure proper security of Durham Tech’s student educational records in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), state laws, community college system regulations, and college policies and procedures;
• Remain current in knowledge and skills via on-going professional development for student records management functions and admissions procedures in Colleague and other technical support;
• Participate as part of the unit’s team in planning and decision making for Admissions, Registration, and Records;
• Assist in daily functions of the office, as necessary, including front desk customer service, answering telephones, preparing mailings, managing e-mail correspondence, performing data entry and retrieval, and maintaining file organization;
• Be an integral part of the team and be available to provide student support services for both credit and non-credit students during high volume admissions and enrollment times, including serving as support to other offices; and
• Additional duties shall include other appropriate activities as assigned by the assistant registrar, assistant deans, dean, vice president, and/or the president.
Physical Demand: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position. The physical and mental demands described as follows are representative of those that must be met by an employee in performing the essential functions of this job:
• Ability to sit and/or stand for long periods.
• Ability to lift, at times, 10 lbs.
How to Apply
The online application process will allow you to review the status of your application during the recruitment process, to update your online application, and to apply for positions that become available in the future.
Please take a moment to become familiar with the system:
• To search positions, click the Search Jobs link at left.
• To apply for a job, click the Create Account link at left, then follow the directions.
For assistance with the online employment application, please contact Human Resources at 919-536-7244 or email@example.com.
Assistance will be available Monday - Friday between the hours of 8:00 am and 5:00 pm.
Click the Login link on the left, and enter your username and password. This enables you to:
• Apply to new positions without re-entering application information that has not changed.
• Review the status of positions you have applied to
Job Post Contact