Closes: Wednesday, August 15, 2018
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution preferably in counseling or a closely related field.
- Two years in student services and academic counseling in a higher education setting.
Required knowledge, skills and abilities
- Multitasking, organization, prioritizing, Datatel and Microsoft Office Suite experience
- Ability to follow-up in a timely manner
- Excellent written and oral communication
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment during peak periods
- Effective collaboration/critical thinking/team building/problem solving skills
- An understanding of and commitment to the open door philosophy of the community college.
- Master's degree from an accredited institution preferably in counseling or closely related field
- Two years of college or university student leadership or activities experience.
- Two years in student services and academic counseling in a higher education setting
This position provides a wide range of activities involved in admissions counseling, advising and determining selection for admission into competitive-entry programs with the College
Evening hours required one night per week. Travel for professional development as needed.
- Serves as the initial contact for prospective students by discussing various course offerings, admissions policies and procedures; answers specific inquiries, maintains contact with prospective students, and ensures completion of application materials of students in admissions process
- Assesses prospective student admission data such as SAT, ACT, Accuplacer scores, and RISE GPA and reviews transcripts from high school, postsecondary institutions and other relative documentation.
- Provides students with academic advising by assisting with course planning, facilitating student admissions and registration, advising students of available support programs and services, and maintaining records of advising contacts.
- Serves as Advisor and Lead Admissions Specialist for competitive admissions program.
- Schedule and setup for consideration periods, consideration committee meetings, orientation dates and information sessions.
- Advises students pursuing the Career and College Promise program and the Central Carolina Promise program.
- Determines acceptance of applicants according to established guidelines and approves qualified applicants using standard admissions procedures.
- Conducts group admissions sessions for prospective students.
- Provides information regarding offerings to applicants which requires familiarity with all curriculum and continuing education programs offered by the college.
- Provides input and makes recommendations concerning admissions criteria, policies, and procedures.
- Maintain the health science online information sessions for new students to disseminate information and inform students of educational options.
- Serves on college-wide committees as requested.
- Maintains adequate records and assures correct applicant status and starting semester.
- Work one evening per week in order to provide services to evening students.
- Responds in a timely and professional manner to admissions inquiries- phone, written, and personal conference.
- Complete the annual five-hour staff development requirement.
- Follow and support College activities, policies, and procedures.
- Serve on College committees as assigned.
- Performs additional tasks or duties as assigned by the Director of Admissions or Designee