Closes: Monday, October 12, 2020
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Master’s degree with minimum of five years of experience in the community college system with academic advising required.
Candidate should possess qualities such as organization, planning, motivation, communication, assessment, and delegation. Ability to handle confidential information and multiple projects is required.
- Strong computer skills and in-depth knowledge of software applications are required.
- Assigned program and activities.
- Community organizations, public agencies, and other resources for assigned programs and activities.
- Educational tools, assessments, and other methods for the assigned programs and activities.
- Communicate effectively verbally and in writing
- Operate a computer and related software
- Maintain effective working relationships with others
- Plan and organize programs and activities
- Understand and coordinate efforts with a wide range of organizations and special populations
See job description.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following.
- Develops and implements an academic advising system that meets the needs of traditional college students.
- Management of staff members, scheduling of staff hours, and training.
- Provides professional development opportunities in advising for faculty and staff
- Knows and understands the barriers facing students in the Bladen County and surrounding areas and able to support students in a positive manner
- Ensures advising staff are consistently trained on best practices in advising, the use of Self Service, and other technology as needed
- Knowledgeable of all academic programs, course deliveries, program changes, admissions process, RDS, and financial aid.
- Director must work collaboratively with various departments across campus including Executive VP of Academic Programs, Deans, Department Chairs, and Student Services
- Develops and implements a strategic retention plan using Aviso and other tools to ensure the college meets retention goals. Will serve as the lead contact for Aviso Retention software
- Provides information to new and returning students on career exploration counseling. Utilizes Career Coach to aid students in the enhancement of employability skills such as resume preparation and cover letters. Provides students with information pertaining to employment opportunities.
- Schedule visits with four-year colleges and universities to allow recruiters and admissions officers to meet with prospective students. Schedule meeting sessions with students and college representatives. Create recruiting schedules for visitors and make available to students, faculty, and staff in a timely manner
- Assists the Retention Task Force coordinator with new student orientation activities and Welcome Week
- Implements, oversees, and coordinates Work Based learning. Coordinates with local employers within Bladen and surrounding areas to place students in the work setting. Follows North Carolina Community College guidelines regarding work-based learning. Also, coordinates with instructors to place students based on specific capabilities.
- Reviews annual goals and objectives with the Director of Institutional Effectiveness. Conducts semiannual review of all set goals and objectives to determine progress toward obtaining set goals.
- Fosters an environment of customer service to all students, staff, and faculty
- Maintains and updates the BCC Advising Center information on the college’s website
- Maintains memberships in professional organizations such as National Academic Advising Association and NC Community College Advising Association and others as needed
- Willingness to attend meetings/seminars on a regular basis (some travel required)
- Ability to work some nights and a flexible schedule
- Serve on committees as assigned
- Other duties as assigned
How to Apply
Inquiries may be made by contacting Tiina Mundy, Director of Human Resources, Bladen Community College, P.O. Box 266, Dublin, NC 28332, Telephone 910.879.5556, or www.bladencc.edu Applicants must apply online at https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/bladencc/. Unofficial copies of academic transcripts must be submitted (if employed, official copies will be required). Review of applications begins October 12, 2020; however, applications will be accepted until a suitable candidate is identified. EOE/AA