Closes: Sunday, February 17, 2019
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Bachelor’s degree in a health-related field from a regionally accredited institution.
Work experience in a secondary or post-secondary education setting.
•Must have demonstrated ability to interact and communicate effectively with a variety of individuals (such as students, faculty, staff, and members of the community).
•Excellent verbal and written communication skills including the ability to communicate clearly and effectively with diverse groups of people.
•Ability to manage multiple activities at once and prioritize effectively.
•Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
•Demonstrated organizational skills and interpersonal skills.
•Ability to thoroughly assess needs of individuals and exercise good judgment in decision making.
•Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as an effective team member.
•Critical thinking skills with the ability to process information.
•Proficiency with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
Master’s degree in health-related field from a regionally accredited institution. Work experience in higher education.
Experience serving as an academic advisor in a community college or university setting. Experience providing academic advising, mentoring, and support to students within the following programs: nursing, allied health, and other health professions. Experience with Colleague or Self-Service software on Ellucian (formerly Datatel) computer system. Experience with the Blackboard learning management system.
This is a part-time position, reporting to the Director of Nursing and Allied Health. This position will be responsible for advising, mentoring, and retention of students in pre-Allied Health Programs at Beaufort County Community College.
Duties include but are not limited to the following:
1. Provide academic advisement, course selection, registration, and related support services for students in pre-allied health programs.
2. Assist students with educational/degree planning based on the results of vocational interest and aptitude tests.
3. Work closely with the Allied Health Admissions Coordinator to identify and provide support to students who are at risk of potentially dropping out of their program.
4. Advise students on college policies and procedures, program requirements and related academic matters.
5. Track student progress in pre-allied health programs and report as necessary.
6. Assist in the planning, development, and implementation of programs designed to encourage the success and retention of students.
7. Participates in student orientation sessions, classroom presentations, assessment interpretation, and outreach activities as needed.
8. Ensures the security and confidentiality of student records. Understands, articulates, and abides by laws that protect the confidentiality of student records.
9. Participates in professional development activities designed to enhance job skills and knowledge, as agreed upon by the employee and supervisor.
10. Complies with the college’s policies and procedures.
11. Performs related duties and responsibilities, as assigned by supervisor.