200 W. Jones Street
Raleigh, NC 27603
Closes: Tuesday, January 25, 2022
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or an IT related field from an appropriately accredited institution or
- Associate degree in computer science or an IT related field or related technical degree from an appropriately accredited institution and one year of experience in business application consulting or development or
- High School or General Educational Development (GED) diploma and four years of experience in business application consulting or development; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
~3-YEAR TIME-LIMITED FULL-TIME POSITION~
DESCRIPTION OF WORK: The Applications System Analyst I/Data Analyst will support the Research and Performance Management (RMP) team by building data views that are optimized for analytics and visualization.
The role requires working knowledge of data management software and educational data. A successful candidate will be one who can bridge the gap between technical and applied data solutions. Technologies that will be used include but are not limited to SAS data management and analytical tools, SQL Server Management Studio, Tableau, and Power BI. The primary focus of this position will be on data/reporting infrastructure management, data process and quality management, and business intelligence analysis.
Data/Reporting Infrastructure Management:
- Develop a working knowledge of NCCCS primary data sources.
- Design and build data views that are optimized for analytics and visualization.
- Update data processes, as needed, when business requirements and/or data sources change.
- Regularly update data views with the most recent data as it becomes available.
- Monitor and analyze the performance of data views.
Data Process and Quality Management:
- Support NCCCS metadata management, master data management, reference data management, and data governance initiatives.
- Establish standards and best practices for version control, documenting workflows, and organizing work products. Monitor use of standards by the RPM team.
- Identify, develop, and employ data validation and monitoring processes to ensure completeness, accuracy, integrity, and consistency of data views and reports.
- Produce and manage the business glossary for RPM’s analytical data views and reports.
Business Intelligence Analysis:
- Gather and analyze business requirements to design, develop, and update data views, dashboards, and reports.
- Analyze and synthesize large and complex datasets to discover trends, patterns, and actionable insights.
- Respond to ad-hoc data inquiries and report requests.
- Working knowledge in the area of application development and system integration.
- Thorough knowledge of assigned data and the use of its systems via developing through test plans/scenarios.
- Skilled in enterprise systems and familiarity with best business practices related to systems.
- Working knowledge of security protocols for systems utilized.
- Working knowledge of the current architecture of systems and information to troubleshoot problems.
- Working knowledge of the business functions and system needs of unit to develop working specifications for software application solutions.
- Ability to manage timelines, financial resources, and the activities of others to achieve success and to monitor project progress and provide updates to managers.
- Experience in the entire development process including specification, workflow analysis, workflow diagrams, data modeling, documentation, and quality assurance.
- Coordinate and direct computer systems and application design and development.
- Experience in assessing user needs through discussion with customer conveying technical information to client and promote understanding of relevant issues.
- Technical Knowledge - Understands principles of data architecture, data modeling, data profiling, data querying, data manipulation, data analysis, and data visualization. Has experience using one or more programming languages (e.g., SAS, SQL, DAX, Python, R). Has the ability to design and build data views using SAS, SQL Server Management Studio, and/or Power BI tools. Has the ability to build dashboards and reports in either Power BI or Tableau. Understands higher education data and trends. Understands and employs established security protocols for systems used. Possesses strong problem solving and critical thinking skills. Is naturally curious, asks questions, and can perform root cause analysis. Has the ability to learn new technologies.
- Planning and Organization - Has experience managing projects in a team environment. Can clearly communicate goals, set priorities, and articulate and execute a plan to achieve a desired outcome. Has the ability to prioritize work duties, responsibilities, and assignments. Possesses strong problem solving and critical thinking skills. Is naturally curious, asks questions, and can perform root cause analysis. Has the ability to learn new technologies.
- Teamwork - Formally or informally coaches others in the unit; proactively acts to make others successful; aware of issues that affect team performance and works to address any issues that arise within the team; able to anticipate and proactively resolve conflicts; seeks out others including clients in creative problem solving; selects appropriate information and best method or format when presenting information in writing or verbally.
- Customer Service - Has experience in assessing end-user needs. Establishes a positive relationship by exercising an appropriate action in a timely manner.
- Communication - Able to translate complex technical issues into understandable terms for non-technical users; understands underlying dynamics of a situation and adapts communication accordingly.
How to Apply
The North Carolina Community College System Office uses the Merit-Based Recruitment and Selection Plan to fill positions SUBJECT to the Office of State Human Resources Act (OSHR) with highly qualified individuals.
Individuals interested in applying for this position must complete the online process at https://www.nc.gov/jobs, Résumés will not be accepted in lieu of the application. Work history and credentials must appear on the application to receive consideration during the selection process.
Job Post Contact
APRIL TIBBS, RECRUITMENT ADMINISTRATOR
North Carolina Community College System
Human Resources | Caswell Building
5001 Mail Service Center | Raleigh, NC 27699-5001
Phone: (919) 807-7177 | Fax: (919) 807-7222