200 W. Jones Street
Raleigh, NC 27603
Closes: Monday, August 15, 2022
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Bachelor's degree in computer science or an IT related field from an appropriately accredited institution or Associate degree in computer science or an IT related field or related technical degree from an appropriately accredited institution and one year of experience in business application consulting or development or High School or General Educational Development (GED) diploma and four years of experience in business application consulting or development; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
The North Carolina Community College System (System Office) is a statewide network of 58 public community colleges. The system enrolls over 500,000 students annually. It is the 3rd largest in the nation based on the number of colleges. It also provides data to the North Carolina Learning Object Repository by collecting, contributing, and sharing digital learning resources for use in traditional or distance learning environments. The mission of the North Carolina Community College System is to open the door to high-quality, accessible educational opportunities that minimize barriers to post-secondary education, maximize student success, develop a global, multicultural, and competent workforce, and improve the lives and wellbeing of N.C. citizens. To learn more about the NC Community College System Office and the Great 58 visit our website About Us | NC Community Colleges
NC Community Colleges System Office has an opening for an Applications Systems Analyst I in the Technology Solutions and Distance Learning Division. The recruitment range: $64,004 – $85,190.
The Technology Solutions & Distance Learning Division provides leadership to the 58 institutions in the North Carolina Community College System through policy development, development and coordination of information and reporting systems, negotiation and brokerage of goods and services, and technical assistance. The division supports the staff of the System Office through information and technology resources and project management planning and organization. The division engages in implementing information technology, distance learning technologies and programs, library resources, and project management services. A commitment to customer service and the use of information for improving policies, practices and programs unifies this work unit with diverse functions.
DESCRIPTION OF WORK: The primary purpose of this position is to develop modernized, scalable efficient data management systems that serves the North Carolina Community College System. This position will work within the Data Management and Integration team to design, deploy and integrate processes that extract, transform, load data into a data warehouse and to create reporting frameworks for data that is collected from multiple sources that include all 58 community colleges and other state and local agencies. The position will use knowledge, creative thinking, scientific/statistical methods, processes, and algorithms to create a data infrastructure that supports business intelligence and advanced analytics.
The analyst will need to be adept at using data to find opportunities for product/process efficiency and using models to simulate outcomes of different courses of action. The analyst will have training and experience using a variety of data extraction tools, using/creating methods that address data quality and to build analytical reports and dashboards. The position will collaborate with business to integrate and improve data quality and reporting systems and will require advanced use of business intelligence and reporting software.
The Applications Systems Analyst must have excellent written and verbal communication skills for coordinating across teams, giving presentations to audiences of varying sizes and facilitating meetings. The position will require strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills paired with an ability to communicate complex ideas to non-technical users.
- Knowledge of one or more programming language including SQL, Python, SAS and R.
- Knowledge of BI and analytics, and experience visualizing/presenting data for stakeholders using at least one of the following: SAS, Tableau, Microsoft PowerBI, Entrinsik Informer, etc.
- Knowledge of database management system (DBMS) physical implementation, including tables, joins and SQL querying.
- Ability to collaborate with others; including providing support and/or cross-training to others team members.
- Advanced experience with MS Office 365 Suite (Excel, Visio, Skype, SharePoint, and Teams).
- Knowledge of security protocols for systems utilized.
- Knowledge of structured data, such as entities, classes, hierarchies, relationships and metadata.
- Ability to effectively communicate and convey technical/complex ideas in written and oral form with users/stakeholders and executive management.
- Ability to work well autonomously, within teams, and lead focused efforts to establish effective working relationships and to produce successful outcomes.
- Ability to organize and implement a variety of both short- and long-term projects and initiatives.
- Ability to understand current architecture of systems and assist with troubleshooting problems.
- Understanding of the business functions and system needs of unit to develop working specifications for technical solutions.
- Agile/Scrum methodology knowledge.
- Experience querying databases and using statistical models and machine learning languages in at least two of the following: R, Python, SQL.
- Experience with ServiceNow or similar ITSM solution.
- Ability to work collaboratively with people from diverse backgrounds.
How to Apply
STATE EMPLOYEE COMPENSATION & BENEFITS: We value our employees and offer a wide variety of competitive and family-friendly benefits. The state of North Carolina offers excellent comprehensive benefits. Employees can participate in health insurance options, standard and supplemental retirement plans, and the NCFlex program (numerous high-quality, low-cost benefits on a pre-tax basis). Employees also receive paid vacation, sick, and community service leave. In addition, paid parental leave, and personal observance is available to eligible employees. Some highlights include:
- The best-funded pension plan/retirement system in the nation according to Moody’s Investor’s Service
- Twelve (12) holidays/year
- Fourteen (14) vacation days/year which increase as the length of service increases and accumulate year-to-year
- Twelve (12) sick days/year which is cumulative indefinitely
- Longevity pays lump sum payout yearly (based on length of service beginning 10 years and up)
- 401K, 457, and 403(b) plans
Learn more about employee perks/benefits:
The North Carolina Community College System Office uses the Merit-Based Recruitment and Selection Plan to fill positions SUBJECT to the State Human Resources Act with the most qualified applicants. When a salary range or recruitment range is posted, the actual salary will be based on relevant competencies, knowledge, skills and abilities, internal equity, and budgetary considerations pertinent to the advertised position. All post-high school degrees must be from appropriately accredited institutions.
Individuals interested in applying for this position must complete the online process at https://www.nc.gov/jobs, Résumés will not be accepted in lieu of the application. Work history and credentials must appear on the application to receive consideration during the selection process.
Job Post Contact
APRIL TIBBS, RECRUITMENT ADMINISTRATOR
North Carolina Community College System
Human Resources | Caswell Building
5001 Mail Service Center | Raleigh, NC 27699-5001
Phone: (919) 807-7177 | Fax: (919) 807-7222