200 W. Jones Street, Raleigh, NC 27603
Closes: Monday, March 25, 2019
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Computer Engineering, math, or Engineering or related technical degree from an appropriately accredited institution and one year of experience in business application consulting or development; or
Bachelor's degree and some computer coursework from an appropriately accredited institution and two years of experience in business application consulting or development; or Associate's degree in Computer Programming from an appropriately accredited institution and two years of experience in application consulting or development; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
2 POSITIONS AVAILABLE (60088039 & 60088060)
The primary purpose of this position is to work with data, information, business intelligence, and related stakeholders/users to translate, format, understand, and help leverage business requirements, Business Intelligence and related data management handling systems. The position will use knowledge, creative thinking, scientific/statistical methods, processes, and algorithms to extract information, business intelligence, and a range of insights from data in various forms.
The position will work within the Data Management and Integration (DM&I) team and collaborate with business owners, developers, and college stakeholders to gather and analyze business objectives, technical data requirements, and associated data flows. The position will also focus on design, deployment, administration and maintenance of data management and reporting capabilities.
The business analyst must be able to effectively drive business results with their data-based insights. The position will require working with a wide range of stakeholders, data sets, and functional teams from colleges, the System Office, and other external educational entities, state agencies, and vendors. The business analyst must have excellent written and verbal communication skills for coordinating across teams, giving presentations to audiences of varying sizes and facilitating meetings. The position will require strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills paired with an ability to communicate complex ideas to non-technical users.
The business analyst must have experience analyzing, documenting and providing guidance for business process improvement. They will encourage continuous improvement approaches, and support use of emerging technologies to provide solutions to community college/System Office stakeholders. Duties will include analyzing/documenting business processes and determining how they can be changed or better supported to improve outcomes. The business analyst will translate business goals, user needs and process improvements into data management functions and requirements.
The business analyst will need to be adept at using data to find opportunities for product/process optimization and using models to simulate outcomes of different courses of action. The business analyst will need experience using a variety of data mining/data analysis methods, using a variety of data extraction tools, using/creating algorithms that address data quality, and creating/running simulations on how data can be processed and used more efficiently. The position will collaborate with business and IT teams to integrate and improve data quality and reporting systems and will require advanced use of business intelligence reporting/dashboarding tools.
- Knowledge of BI and analytics, and experience visualizing/presenting data for stakeholders using at least one of the following: SAS, SAP Business Objects, Tableau, Microsoft PowerBI, Entrinsik Informer, etc.
- Knowledge of security protocols for systems utilized.
- Knowledge of structured data, such as entities, classes, hierarchies, relationships and metadata.
- Ability to effectively communicate and convey technical/complex ideas in written and oral form with users/stakeholders and executive management.
- Ability to work well autonomously, within teams, and lead focused efforts to establish effective working relationships and to produce successful outcomes.
- Ability to organize and implement a variety of both short- and long-term projects and initiatives.
- Knowledge of database management system (DBMS) physical implementation, including tables, joins and SQL querying.
- Ability to collaborate with others; including providing support and/or cross-training to others team members.
- Advanced experience with MS Office 365 Suite (Excel, Visio, Skype, SharePoint, and Teams).
- Experience in enterprise systems, and familiarity with security protocols and best business practices.
- Ability to understand current architecture of systems and assist with troubleshooting problems.
- Understanding of the business functions and system needs of unit to develop working specifications for technical solutions.
- Experience in the entire development process including specification, workflow analysis, workflow diagrams, data modeling, documentation and quality assurance.
- Agile/Scrum methodology experience.
- Experience querying databases and using statistical models and machine learning languages in at least two of the following: R, Python, SQL, GLM/Regression, Bayesian Analysis etc.
- Experience with ServiceNow or similar ITSM solution.
- ITIL knowledge and/or certification.
- Experience with Process mapping/design software (such as Visio).
- Project management skills, including certification by the Project Management Institute or similar authority.
- Ability to build rapport with people from diverse backgrounds.
How to Apply
The North Carolina Community College System Office uses the Merit-Based Recruitment and Selection Plan to fill positions SUBJECT to the Office of State Human Resources Act (OSHR) with highly qualified individuals.
Individuals interested in applying for this position must complete the online process at https://www.nc.gov/jobs, Résumés will not be accepted in lieu of the application. Work history and credentials must appear on the application to receive consideration during the selection process.
Job Post Contact
APRIL TIBBS, HR TECHNICIAN III
North Carolina Community College System
Human Resources | Caswell Building
5001 Mail Service Center | Raleigh, NC 27699-5001
Phone: (919) 807-7177 | Fax: (919) 807-7222