Main Campus - Smithfield, North Carolina
Closes: Sunday, June 24, 2018
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
The ideal candidate will possess strong communication skills and a thorough understanding of Blackboard back-end programming and front-end design functionality. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related degree.
- Three or more years of experience with administration, development and customization of a Blackboard LMS in a higher education environment.
**OPEN UNTIL FILLED**
The LMS Administrator role is an experienced-level position responsible for configuring, maintaining and overseeing the college's Blackboard Learning Management System (LMS) application and environment. Johnston Community College uses Blackboard Learn in a managed hosting environment as our application of choice to deliver online instruction for use with distance, hybrid and face-to-face courses.
The LMS Administrator has primary responsibility for optimizing LMS application performance, documenting the operation and support processes and procedures related to the LMS application and environment, investigating and resolving LMS application and server environment errors, and communicating with the campus community as appropriate.
The LMS Administrator will collaborate with the Director of Programs for Instructional Technologies to establish policies, processes and procedures related to maintenance, update, upgrade, integration and development of the LMS application and environment. The LMS Administrator will work with third-party services to maintain a secure, highly available and fault-tolerant LMS environment. The LMS Administrator will oversee relationships with related vendors and host providers, enforcing support expectations. The LMS Administrator, in partnership with the Director of Programs for Instructional Technologies, will assist the college with setting and complying with State and Federal policies and recommendations related to distance learning.
Knowledge & Responsibilities:
Primary Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Configure, administer, maintain, update and document the Blackboard LMS environment;
- Supervise the security, performance and fault-tolerance of the Blackboard LMS environment to include keeping a current knowledge of release notes, resolved issues and known issues;
- Partner with related campus administrators and 3rd party publisher vendors to support integration of other related applications such as LTI integrations and building blocks;
- Participate in the initiation and completion of SIS integration projects involving the Blackboard LMS environment, including Ellucian and Blue Explorance.
- Implement, manage and provide Blackboard Ally analytics for accessibility compliance
- Batch create users, courses and enrollments.
- Conduct system management pertaining to: authentication, configuration, performance and ability to interpret logs in order to identify appropriate action;
- Configure and maintain the Blackboard test environment to ensure consistency w/production systems.
- Deploy updates and configuration changes for development and test initiatives.
- Perform semi-annual learning management system tasks such as course archiving, & user expiration.
- Manage community areas, including but not limited to: tabs, modules, brands, themes, tools and communities settings;
- Configure, manage and document advanced system reporting environment to include queries;
- Consult with deans, directors, faculty and other campus users of the LMS environment to support the integration and development of features and customizations for the Blackboard LMS application;
- Communicate maintenance windows and issue resolution to campus community
- Oversee relationships with related vendors and host providers, enforcing SLA and support expectations;
- Respond to inquiries and requests from users for Blackboard-related assistance as escalated through the support process;
- Cooperate and work well with all segments of the College community.
- Support the total mission of the college through attendance of various college functions.
- Serve on various college and professional committees.
- Other duties as assigned.
Technical Skills & Competencies
- Demonstrated experience with Blackboard hosting solutions and knowledge of SIS integration.
- Demonstrated experience with Advanced System Reporting (ASR) and query building using MySQL.
- Demonstrated experience in developing Section 508 compliant online content
- Ellucian Colleague scripting experience a plus
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts and interest.
- Functional Reasoning: Requires the ability to apply principles of influence systems, such as motivation, incentive, and leadership. Ability to exercise independent judgment to apply facts and principles for developing approaches and techniques to problem resolution. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form
- Situational Reasoning: Requires the ability to exercise the judgment, decisiveness and creativity required in situations involving the direction, control and planning of a project.
- Blackboard Learn LMS experience
- SQL Server query experience
- HTML and CSS
- A complete knowledge of Microsoft Office Products as used in overall management in an educational environment is required.
Requires the ability to exercise honest, consistent and sound judgment in a supervisory/managerial capacity for a group of workers. Includes the ability to make decisions on procedural and technical levels. Ability to establish and maintain effective, harmonious, and collaborative relationships with a diverse population of students, staff and community.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to walk and sit and is occasionally required to stand; use hands and fingers; reach with hands and arms; and stoop or kneel. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact