Closes: Monday, November 30, 2020
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Associate's Degree is required; Bachelor's Degree preferred
- Experience in a community college setting is preferred
- Working knowledge of the principles and theories of fund accounting
- Experience with financial software and Datatel preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- knowledge of federal and state regulations
- strong commitment to customer service
- excellent organizational and time management skills
- student centered
- ability to interpret regulations
The position has broad functional and supervisory responsibilities for college accounting activities including general ledger accounting, accounts payable, fixed assets, and accurate operation of the agency’s integrated and automated financial management system. Additional responsibilities include the development and maintenance of an effective system of internal controls and auditing to provide reasonable assurance that required risk assessments and necessary evaluative processes have been performed. This position reports to the Controller.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervises and manages the Equipment Coordinator, Accounts Payable, and Staff Accountant in the Business Office.
- Hire, train and supervise full and part-time staff responsible for activities in the following areas: accounts payable, equipment, and institutional accounting; including scheduling, leave approvals and performance evaluations.
- Reconciling monthly bank statements for the college and foundation.
- Perform general accounting related functions, including audit preparations, and drafting monthly or quarterly board reports and assisting the Controller with annual financial reports.
- Assist with fiscal year-end close process.
- Coordinate and schedule annual College-wide risk assessments and review internal control activities including the EAGLE program.
- Communicate and interact across the institution in order to maintain and provide information for sound decisions making. (e.g., training on the process, materials and reporting information).
- Establishes and maintain internal controls to protect the College's resources prevent and identify abuse, misuse, or fraud.
- Assists with the preparation and distribution of a variety of financial reports, including Annual Reports and monthly statements for both the College and College Foundation, to the Board of Trustees, President, and Senior Staff. Ensures that similar reports are provided to College administrative staff when required.
- Assists with the preparation and submission of various reports and other information to the North Carolina Community College System, Department of Education, auditor and other federal, state and local agencies.
- Ensures compliance with accounting rules and regulating bodies.
- Act in all delegated capacities in the Controller’s absence.
- maintain Institutional Funds chart of accounts and monitor Institutional Funds cash and investments
- review MCCFEE financial activity
- prepare reports for the MCCFEE and Foundation Accounts
- maintain documentation for Datatel security classes for the department
- Communicate directly with and participate in audits by the Office of North Carolina Community College System, the Office of the State Auditor, the Office of the State Controller, the Department of Purchase and Contract, the State Treasurer and other regulating agencies to ensure compliance with GAAP, state and federal regulations
- Analyze workflows and make recommendations for continuous improvement to procedures in compliance with regulations from governing agencies and coordinate the implementation of and training for new procedures
- Prepare annual IPEDS report and other reports and surveys as requested by NCCCS and other agencies
- Oversee administrative computer security for the finance, payroll and accounts receivable/cashiering functions and provide technical support to accounting system users
- Serve on college committees as requested
- Oversees and/or participates in special projects assigned by the Controller, the Vice President for Finance and Administration or the President
- work with the Development Office to ensure accuracy of MCCFEE gift reporting
- work with the Vice-President of Accounting and CFO, and local auditor to prepare MCCFEE financial statements
How to Apply
Job Post Contact
Christina Sharkey, Human Resources Assistant
Mitchell Community College
500 W. Broad Street, Statesville, NC 28677