Closes: Friday, March 24, 2023
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Required educational background:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution or a combination of significant, relevant educational and job experience.
Required work experience and number of years of experience:
- Two years in academic advising, success coaching, admissions or a related higher education setting or a combination of related educational experience.
Required knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Ability to multitask, organize, prioritize, and manage time effectively
- Experience using Microsoft office suite and google suite
- Ability to follow-up in a timely manner
- Ability to work effectively within a large team
- Possess excellent written and oral communication
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Maintain an excellent customer service mindset
- Effective collaboration, critical thinking, problem solving skills
- Commitment to the open-door philosophy of the community college
- Master’s degree from an accredited institution in Higher Education, College Student Development, Academic Advising, or closely related field.
- Two years of experience in academic advising, success coaching, admissions or a related higher education experience in a community college setting.
- Supervisory experience in higher education, especially in student-facing roles
- Significant experience using customer-service management software and other software related to advising
- Experience leading large teams
- Demonstrated customer service excellence
- Bilingual in English and Spanish
At Central Carolina Community College, we create transformative lifelong learning opportunities! We expect all employees to find ways to remove barriers to student success and provide all students a pathway to achievable dreams. Our employees are charged to recognize the challenges we face and to respond to them with empathy, understanding, and a willingness to help.
This position provides a wide range of activities involved in admissions, advising, supervision of staff, management of programs and process, and determining selection for admission into competitive-entry programs with the College.
Diversity Policy: Central Carolina Community College believes the college experience is greatly enriched through diversity; therefore, the college encourages diversity of thought within the student body and staff. Furthermore, the college seeks to promote awareness of diversity and the respect for all individuals, and the college pledges to adhere to this mission in its relationship with the community.
- Directly supervises 4-6 Education Navigators within the Student Onboarding and Success department on the Lee Main Campus, and is responsible for professional development and evaluation.
- Schedules and lead training efforts as new Education Navigators are onboarded and assess learning of essential job responsibilities.
- Leads New Student Orientation sessions for new and prospective students at least once per semester.
- Serves on departmental leadership team that leads and schedules training efforts, team meetings, retreats, and professional development opportunities.
Serves as an Education Navigator to a small caseload of students which includes
- Serving as an initial point of contact for prospective students by discussing various course offerings and career pathways.
- Assisting students in completing the admissions process.
- Assessing prospective student placement data such as SAT, ACT, RISE scores, RISE GPA and reviews transcripts from high school, and postsecondary institutions.
- Provides students with initial academic advising by assisting with course planning and advising and registration
- Conducting proactive outreach
- Connecting students to needed resources and services
- Provides information regarding course and training offerings to applicants which requires familiarity with all curriculum and continuing education programs offered by the college.
- Provides input and makes recommendations concerning admissions criteria, policies, and procedures.
- Ensures that students have a smooth onboarding experience to the college and assist in solving complex admissions or onboarding issues that students experience.
- Identify barriers and opportunities for the college to consider and reexamine how to best support students through the onboarding process.
- Assists with campus-based onboarding events, and retention activities as needed.
- Serves on college-wide committees as requested.
- Maintains adequate records and assures correct applicant status and starting semester.
- Works virtually and during evening hours as needed.
- Completes the annual five-hour staff development requirement.
- Follows and supports College activities, policies, and procedures.
- Performs additional tasks or duties as assigned by the Dean of Student Onboarding and Success or Designee.
- Responds in a timely and professional manner to student inquiries- phone, email, zoom and in-person meetings.
- Recognizing and respecting the variety of experiences and contributions represented by all of our students, employees, and community, the Assistant Director of Student Onboarding and Success (Lee County) will encourage a learning environment where everyone is supported and valued for their unique perspectives and experiences and will foster and promote the participation of all members of our diverse communities.