Assistant to the President
1011 Page Street Troy, NC 27371
Closes: Friday, March 31, 2023
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Associate’s Degree and three years of secretarial/clerical experience required.
The range of duties varies from in-house communication to outside dealings with the public and work of a professional nature. Dealing with the public, the college boards and various external agencies requires thoroughness and diplomacy. Person is expected to be thoroughly familiar with NCCCS and Montgomery Community College policies. Adherence to detail and follow-up are crucial to many of the responsibilities of this position. Judgement in needed in following, interpreting and applying prescribed guidelines which are available or must be developed. Person must strive to see that the College maintain a positive image at all times.
Keyboarding skills of 50 words per minute, advanced word processing and software application skills, and customer relation skills preferred.
The focus of this position revolves around the Board of Trustees and Foundation Board of Directors, minutes of Cabinet, staff, and both board meetings; general administrative and clerical duties. This position will operate within the confines of the above parameters and will handle anticipated problems of a routine nature. Unanticipated problems are discussed with the President. Person will use tact and good judgement in daily communication with board members, high ranking officials, and the general public. General knowledge of the Board Policies and Bylaws and the Operational Manual is required. Recurring work is not reviewed. Person must be able to work late or early when requested to do so for board and foundation meetings and functions. This requires the person to be subject to working overtime, occasionally with as little as a day’s notice when his/her services are needed. Instruction, guidelines, and policy are readily available.
- Handles all assigned special projects.
- Works closely with the College Board of Trustees.
- Oversees the smooth and efficient operation of the President’s Office.
- In the absence of the President, dictates responses to routine correspondence and handles all routine calls.
- Is totally familiar with the general procedures of the office so that pending deadlines can be properly handled and/or referred in case of the absence of the President.
- Supervises all details for the preparation of Board of Trustees and Foundation Board of Directors meetings and Board and Foundation committee meetings. Sets up Board retreats, Legislative Breakfasts and any other functions dealing with either of the boards. Attends all of these functions and serves as official greeter of prominent guests and both boards during graduation ceremony.
- Researches legal issues and prepares statistical and informational reports required by an external agency of the Community College System Office when those reports are required from the office of the President.
- Serves as a member of the Administrative Cabinet and is present at staff, Board and Foundation meetings.
- Will meet schedules dictated by others and by outside agencies.
- Handles all initial telephone contacts for the President and keep proper logs.
- Handles and routes all presidential mail.
- Makes travel arrangements for the President’s office, Board of Trustees, and guests of the college.
- Maintains and elaborate filing system for the President’s office, Foundation Board of Directors and the Board of Trustees.
- Takes and maintains minutes of all board, staff and cabinet meetings.
- Prepares and reproduces all correspondence and reports from the office of the President, making sure all documents are procedurally correct as far as grammar, punctuation, and spelling are concerned.
- Is responsible for equipment and supply requisitions for the office of the President.
- Coordinates and maintains the Weekend Warrior calendar.
- Performs other job-related duties and projects as assigned in support of the College’s mission, core values and goals.
Job Post Contact
Director of Human Resources
Montgomery Community College