Asheville Buncombe Technical Community College
Asheville, North Carolina
- Instructional (Faculty)
Closes: Monday, June 27, 2022
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
***IMPORTANT NOTE TO APPLICANTS***
When Human Resources receives enough qualified applications, we will move forward regardless of the posted close date (required field), but the position will remain open until filled.
Minimum Requirements (Applicant must meet all of the minimum requirements)
1. Master’s degree in Biology or related discipline with 18 graduate semester hours in Biology;
2. Experience with developing, maintaining, and projecting budgets;
3. Experience developing schedules;
4. Experience advising students;
5. Experience with Ellucian software;
6. Three years of full-time or equivalent teaching experience in a post-secondary setting.
1. Experience teaching at a community college;
2. Experience in a leadership role within a post-secondary college/university;
3. Proficiency in a foreign language such as Spanish, an East Slavic language, and/or American Sign Language
Job Description Summary
This position provides instruction in Biology and advising for students pursuing the Associate of Arts and Sciences. The Associate Chair will assist the department chair with organizational support and coordination of the Biology Department including but not limited to personnel, academics, and budget. The Associate Chair of the Biology department supports the pathways set by the college by offering courses specifically for vocational, technical, and college transfer students.
1. Maintains mastery of subject matter.
2. Develops and/or teaches courses for which the appropriate credential is held.
3. Teaches in various formats, various locations, and via various delivery methods.
4. Advises students.
5. Adheres to policies, procedures, expectations, and practices of the College, the department, and discipline.
6. Communicates clearly with students, other faculty, and staff.
7. Contributes to a safe and secure campus environment.
8. Enforces Code of Classroom Conduct and Code of Student Conduct.
9. Assists with program reviews, program accreditation, and SACSCOC accreditation as appropriate.
10. Attends meetings and events and actively participates on committees and task forces.
11. Attends the annual commencement ceremony.
12. Upholds the College Vision, Mission, Values, and RISE statement.
13. Supports diversity in all aspects.
14. Assists the chair in the development of departmental class schedules and faculty assignments.
15. Assists the chair in the planning, budgeting, and use of departmental funds.
16. Participates in orientation and mentoring to new full-time and adjunct faculty, and staff, on college expectations and policies, and faculty responsibilities.
17. Assists the department chair in observing and evaluating faculty including third-party instructors annually.
18. Works with faculty to ensure that course content and assessments align with student learning outcomes as determined with appropriate faculty input.
19. Serves as liaison to the Academic Learning Center with the Department Chair; submits Biology Tutoring schedule each term and distributes the schedule to departments and divisions where appropriate.
20. Assists the department chair in the selection and ordering of textbooks and course materials for the department. Places textbooks are on hold within the library and develops resources to supplement Biology courses. Recommends the revision, deletion, and addition of content with appropriate input from faculty.
21. Advises full-time instructor advisees with Department Chair during summer.
22. Maintains five office hours per week.
23. Maintains twelve hours of professional development per year.
24. Serves as acting Department Chair when Department Chair is away from campus.
25. Performs other duties as assigned.