Closes: Friday, October 15, 2021
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Master’s degree, as set forth by SACSCOC, from a regionally accredited institution to teach in a degree program offered on RCC’s campus
- Three years teaching experience in a secondary, post-secondary, or related setting
- Demonstrated leadership with one year of supervisory experience
- Master’s degree in a discipline offered in the division of Creative Design & Public Services
- One year teaching experience in the community college setting
- Experience with third-party regulatory/accrediting agencies
- Demonstrated leadership with one year of supervisory experience in the community college setting
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION: The Associate Dean, Creative Design and Public Services reports directly to the Dean of Curriculum Programs. This position works in cooperation with the Dean of Curriculum Programs on the leadership and day-to-day functioning of their division to attain the goal of providing quality educational experiences for students. The Associate Dean, Creative Design & Public Services provides quality learning experiences, facilitates the learning process, seeks and provides professional development opportunities, contributes to the development of curriculum courses/programs and interacts with community/industry members.
- Supervise and evaluate Department Heads in accordance with policy, including classroom observations
- Identify, recommend, and conduct professional development opportunities for division faculty, as needed
- Facilitate the communication of college and /or policy information to Department Heads via meeting, email, etc., as needed, for dissemination throughout division
- Mediate student grievances with instructors and classroom management, when justified
- Develop job descriptions and PVAs for new positions within the division with input from Department Heads
- Recommend search committees and ensure the entire search process is guided and abides by policy
- Make recommendations for divisional contracts based on professional personnel reviews with input from Department Heads
- Advocate and provide motivation for faculty
- Communicate faculty needs to Dean of Curriculum Programs
- Encourage sound educational practices and student engagement
- Process leave forms, noting any patterns of absenteeism
- Manage any conflict within division; striving to find an amicable resolution
- Create and monitor employee performance improvement plans (PIPs), when warranted
- Produce an annual statement of goals for the division that coincide with the mission and vision of the College
- Lead the division in any College-wide efforts in a positive, professional manner
- Keep the Board of Trustees informed of divisional efforts supporting the mission and vision of the College with regular submission of BOT highlights
- Facilitate the review, evaluation, and assessment of divisional programs periodically to assess viability of existing programs and recommending closure and/or additions, as appropriate
- Submit recommended revisions to plans of study, course objectives, and other divisional program information to Curriculum Review Committee for approval
- Ensure all divisional programs are in full compliance with the requirements for accreditation, certification, and other standards as stipulated by NCCCS
- Develop and maintain productive relationships with those agencies and other organizations within the community/industry which are pertinent to the division and to prospective graduates
- Review and make recommendations based on divisional program’s advisory committee feedback and reports
- Partner and interface with Corporate & Continuing Education, Basic Skills, and Distance Education to ensure the needs of all students are being meet with regards to recruitment, retention, and providing quality instruction
- Compile and submit divisional program needs for personnel, equipment, supplies, facilities, and other resources during the annual planning process to the Dean of Curriculum Programs through the Good to Great and budget processes
- Approve and submit the requisition of resources and services, including equipment, supplies, facilities and other materials recommended by Department Heads needed for the effective delivery of instruction within their program
- Manage the division budget, regularly monitoring program budgets and the status of expenditures and ensuring inventory control methods are in place and being followed
- Teach all assigned courses for the full duration of scheduled instruction
- Ensure that each class session contains essential curricular components, has appropriate content and pedagogy, and maintains currency
- Teach an academic success class, as needed
- Evaluate student progress and provide appropriate, timely feedback
- Incorporate appropriate instructional technology to enhance student learning
- Provide and/or facilitate quality experiences in laboratory and/or clinical settings to meet program needs
- Maintain cleanliness of instructional areas and laboratories
- Ensure the proper operation of classroom/lab equipment, reporting any malfunctions to the appropriate person(s)
- Develop and distribute course syllabi according to established template providing appropriate information to students concerning course expectations and evaluation criteria
Other Services to Students
- Maintain appropriate office hours and accessibility for students, a minimum of 5 hours a week.
- Coordinate the divisional assignments in semester advising and registration activities
- Review available reports to develop with divisional faculty appropriate instructional plans for recruitment, retention, and success
- Ensure the proper coding of students within major programs, processing change of major forms, as appropriate prior to the 10% point of the semester
- Advocate and provide motivation for students
Divisional Administrative Expectations
- Prepare and submit instructional records, reports, grades, and all other required paperwork in a timely, efficient manner meeting all deadlines, checking for accuracy, correctness and completeness of all data
- Exert an effort to remain current in discipline and instructional methods through professional development activities offered by the College and other opportunities including attendance at off-campus activities, webinars, etc., as feasible
- Serve on and actively contribute to college committees as needed and as appointed by the President
- Participate in discipline, departmental, divisional, and institutional meetings and other announced co-curricular activities of the College
- Maintain proper communication and supportive relationships at all times with all other units and branches of the college
- Maintain posted office and on-campus hours sufficient to fulfill all contracted duties and individual professional obligations, as well as to meet the needs of the discipline, department, division, and College
College Requirements of all Employees
- Demonstrated excellence in written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equal opportunity, and the academic, intellectual, and social development of all students and employees.
- An understanding of and commitment to the comprehensive community college philosophy and mission.
- Treats others respectfully, speaks to others courteously, and behaves in such a way that creates a workplace environment that is marked by trustworthiness, honest but polite communication, and interpersonal interactions that are both personally cordial and professionally appropriate.
- Acts as a team player when working with any and all employees of the College.
- Serves on institutional committees as appointed by the President.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as needed.
- Annually review all Randolph Community College safety rules and policies and be familiar with all emergency safety procedures. Promote good safety habits and be compliant with OSHA safety regulations.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact
Melanie L. Avelino
Director of Human Resources
Randolph Community College
629 Industrial Park Avenue
Asheboro, NC 27205