Closes: Friday, August 26, 2022
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- Two years of experience working with adults in education or similar environment
- Two years of experience developing and implementing training programs in educational or other industries.
- Master’s degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- Experience working in the field or discipline of the division.
To support the work of the Dean of Business Careers and Technical Training and to plan, organize, supervise, and provide support for direct the instructional, curriculum, and administrative activities of the program areas of responsibility. Ensures that the curriculum and continuing education programs comply with the College and NCCCS standards, policies, and procedures as well as compliance with other state and national regulatory agencies. Reviews performance data and recommends corrective actions to improve low performing programs. Responsibility includes course scheduling, selection of supplies and equipment, recruitment and retention efforts of faculty and staff, mentorship of new personnel, evaluation of personnel, leadership in program reviews and development, program marketing and coordination with the dean. Provide highly responsible staff assistance to the dean. The Associate Dean of Technical Training performs the following functions:
- Participates in the development, planning, and implementation of goals and objectives related to the assigned curriculum, workforce development and continuing education programs.
- Ensures that outreach, recruiting, and retaining students are expectancies for faculty and staff in all departments.
- Assist the dean with the development of the course schedule for each semester for both curriculum, workforce development and continuing education programs.
- Assist the dean in developing apprenticeships/internships for business and industry and for organizing, implementing, and administering curriculum, workforce development and continuing education programs.
- Assist the dean in promoting a focus on professional credentialing by developing and marketing classes that meet recertification criteria in various professional fields
- Provides leadership for and oversight of the development, management, assessment, and quality improvement of the College’s curriculum, workforce development and continuing education programs and services based on local community and workforce needs for ultimate benefit within the College’s service area.
- Promotes the connection between education and the economy by 1) closing the skills gap 2) credentialing, and 3) professional development.
- Ensure programs are in full compliance with the requirements for accreditation, certification, and other standards as stipulated by NCCCS and SACSCOC.
- Assist the dean in establishing and maintaining an effective advisory committee in support of the curriculum, workforce development and continuing education programs.
- Leads and supervises instructors in assigned departments to ensure deadlines and curriculum, workforce development and continuing education requirements are met.
- Coordinates and collaborates with faculty regarding textbook decisions.
- Ensures accuracy of course catalog and program information and oversee revisions.
- Facilitates development of new courses in conjunction with the dean.
- Assist the dean in prioritizing equipment and software needs where applicable and assist with managing the division budget.
- Leads development and implementation of departmental assessment/program unit strategic plans.
- Analyzes enrollment data to determine outreach and/or promotional needs.
- Coordinates the distance education offerings in the curriculum program(s) and or instructional area(s) with the dean.
- Explores innovative scheduling options, recommends instructor assignments and review schedules for accuracy.
- Will participate in professional development activities that will support and enhance knowledge in the disciplines. ]
- Will stay current with changes in the field and stay current with state and national certifications requirements.
- Will ensure that all Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) standards are met and comply with the General Duty Clause of the OSH Act to ensure that programs operate in a safe and healthful environment.
- Will ensure that all of Environment Protection Agency (EPA) standards are met and will stay current with the standards in the field.
- Assist the dean, lead faculty and instructional staff in recruiting, selecting, and orienting part-time instructors in assigned areas.
- Arranges attendance of faculty and instructional staff at recruiting, fundraising and other events on behalf of SCC.
- Conducts peer observations and recommends professional development opportunities for both full and part-time faculty and instructional staff.
- Submits faculty qualifications applications for approval to the dean.
- Ensures contracts for full-time and part-time faculty are approved prior to first day of class and oversees the accuracy of pay roll for part-time workforce/continuing education instructors.
- Manages departmental budgets as determined by the dean by regularly monitoring the status of expenditures and implementing inventory control methods.
- Recommends to the dean departmental needs for personnel, equipment, supplies, facilities, professional development needs for faculty and staff and other resources during the annual planning process.
- Maintains labs where applicable related to equipment and supplies, lab records preventative maintenance and purchase of supplies and parts and supervises lab technicians or other support personnel.
Services to Students
- Oversee the advising of students in the areas of academic planning and learning support.
- Maintains regular, appropriate, professional communication with students.
- Assists in the recruitment and retention efforts of the College.
- Advocates and provides motivation for students.
Other Duties Specific to the Position
- Participates in discipline, departmental, divisional, and institutional meetings and other cocurricular activities of the College.
- Enhances communication and builds relationships with area high schools and business and industry partners.
- Builds community and business relations and maintains regular, professional communications within the college and affiliated business and industry contacts.
- Attends scheduled meetings and coordinates meetings for program faculty/staff.
- Serves on and actively contributes to college committees as assigned.
Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of management and administrative principles and practices.
- Knowledge of community college organizational structure including the integration of academic, continuing education, and student services programs.
- Knowledge of curriculum and continuing education/workforce development standards, guidelines, and requirements.
- Willing to travel and participate in events during the day, evening and on the weekends.
- Other duties as assigned.
How to Apply
The successful candidate must begin work by September 12, 2022. Starting salary will be commensurate with qualifications, experience, and labor market. Excellent references from previous employers must be furnished upon request.
A completed Southeastern Community College application (located on the SCC website), a resume, letter of interest addressing the requirements and educational transcripts (unofficial copies of transcripts will be sufficient for the screening process, but official copies must be submitted prior to employment) must be submitted to the college Human Resources Office in order for applicants to be considered for this position. Initial review of application will be August 26, 2022. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Applicants should submit all documents as requested on the SCC website. Inquiries should be directed to the Human Resources Office, Southeastern Community College, P.O. Box 151, Whiteville, NC 28472. Telephone (910) 788-6310 or (910) 788-6206. www.sccnc.edu
An Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Job Post Contact