200 W. Jones Street, Raleigh, NC 27603
Closes: Friday, November 15, 2019
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Bachelor’s degree from an appropriately accredited institution and at least 7 years of experience in human resources, with no less than 3 years as a Chief Human Resources Officer/Director or deputy in an organization of medium to high level complexity; or equivalent combination or education and experience.
A current HR professional certification from a recognized certification body (SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP).
~THIS POSITION IS EXEMPT FROM THE STATE HUMAN RESOURCES ACT (EPA) per GS 115D-3~
~THIS POSITION IS OPEN UNTIL FILLED~
The mission of the North Carolina Community College System is to open the door to opportunity for individuals seeking to improve their lives and well-being by providing: education, training, and retraining for the workforce, including basic skills and literacy education, occupational and pre-baccalaureate programs; support for economic development through services to business and industry; and services to communities and individuals which improve the quality of life. To learn more about NC Community Colleges System Office and the 58 Community Colleges please visit our website: https://www.nccommunitycolleges.edu/
The Human Resources Office is part of the Executive Division and reports to the Executive Vice President/Chief of Staff. The purpose of the Human Resources Office is to ensure the administration and implementation of a comprehensive human resources management system for the NC Community College System Office and to provide consultation and assistance in area of human resources to the 58 community colleges
This position provides system-wide leadership and strategic direction for the delivery of human resource policies, programs, and services for the 58 community colleges. Among the roles of the Associate Vice President and Chief Human Resources Officer are:
- Advising the President, senior team, and members of the State Board of Community Colleges on human resources and equal opportunity issues and policies of system-wide importance;
- Collaborating with college leadership on system-wide initiatives focused on strengthening college HR functions;
- Providing oversight and strategic consultation and guidance to both System Office and college leadership, ensuring that the human resource functions are well aligned with the mission of the NC Community College System;
- Facilitating college-specific and system-wide best practices by serving as a leader, mentor, and advocate relating to human resource issues;
- Periodic travel to the 58 Community Colleges and conferences;
- Facilitating the HR sessions for Association of Community Colleges Business Officials (ACCBO);
- Providing supervision and leadership to the Office of Human Resources.
- Functional experience in most subject areas within human resources, such as salary administration, benefits administration, employment, employee relations, classification and compensation, training and talent development, performance appraisal, workers’ compensation, and EEO;
- Extensive knowledge of applicable State and Federal laws related to human resources;
- Leadership style that emphasizes collaboration, teamwork, and facilitation;
- Strategic thinking and analytical problem-solving abilities;
- Ability to organize, plan, coordinate, and evaluate programs and work; to determine priorities among competing demands; and to exercise judgment and discretion while interpreting and applying a variety of personnel and departmental policies in complex, sensitive, or new situations;
- Working knowledge of and ability to use information technology to develop and interpret reports;
- Outstanding organizational, interpersonal, management, and facilitation skills;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with internal and external groups.
- Experience with NC Community College System or other higher education or public sector experience;
- Experience working with executives and senior-level managers to collaboratively meet the organization’s workforce needs.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact
APRIL TIBBS, HR TECHNICIAN III
North Carolina Community College System
Human Resources | Caswell Building
5001 Mail Service Center | Raleigh, NC 27699-5001
Phone: (919) 807-7177 | Fax: (919) 807-7222