Main Campus, Smithfield, NC
Closes: Tuesday, October 1, 2019
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Minimum & Preferred Qualifications:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential function
Education Minimum: Master's Degree in related field or an equivalent combination of relevant education, training and experience sufficient to perform the essential functions of the job.
Experience Minimum: 5 years administrative experience. 3 years community college experience and teaching experience in program area or related field in Health Sciences or Education.
Provides overall strategic leadership to an instructional department. Plans, organizes and directs the academic, faculty, student support and administrative activities of department to ensure that assigned programs comply with college standards, policies and procedures.
Knowledge & Responsibilities:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Assumes primary responsibility for the following program areas: Nursing Education, Cardiovascular Sonography, Education, Medical Assisting, Medical Sonography, Nurse, Aide, Pharmacy Technology, Therapeutic and Diagnostic Services, Therapeutic Massage, Radiography Programs and courses in the Health Education, Allied Health, and Education areas.
- Provides leadership in the accreditation/reaffirmation process and approval bodies for the programs and/or areas primary responsible for.
- Coordinates and collaborates with applicable colleges included in the collaborative and consortium programs.
- Represents instructional programs and services in college planning processes and decision-making.
- Provides academic leadership to foster student learning, effective teaching, and meaningful instructional programs resulting in the achievement of identified outcomes.
- Recruits, hires, orients and develops department chairs and other direct reports
- Acts as a liaison with relevant community agencies, senior colleges and universities, businesses, industries, secondary schools, and peer institutions in order to respond effectively to community needs and concerns.
- Manages the instructional process through appropriate planning, completion of scheduling activities, and assuring adequacy of supplies equipment, and facilities.
- Provides leadership in faculty/staff development.
- Monitors the effectiveness of the instructional department.
- Provides directional leadership in aligning the instructional department with College competencies and the achievement of strategic goals.
- Provides leadership in making course and programmatic changes or recommendations to a program offering when deemed necessary to advance the learning for all (faculty/students).
- Coordinate and collaborate with directors, other Associate Vice Presidents, Vice-President of Instruction and with institutional departments and outside agencies and organizations on assigned activities.
- Provides leadership in developing, implementing, and maintaining curriculum and programs that respond to community needs, prepare students for success, and which meet the external requirements of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools and other accrediting agencies.
- Directs the development and administration of budget as appropriate; directs the forecast of additional funds needed for instruction, equipment and supplies; monitors, recommends, and/or approves expenditures.
- Seeks/manages alternative funding resources including donations and grants.
- Represents campus at state-level, college-wide, instructional, and community meetings and events.
- Confers with and provides assistance and advice to the vice-presidents; develops, prepares, and presents recommendation and reports as requested.
- Carries out overall day-to-day operational supervision of faculty and assigned staff.
- Oversees the recruitment, hiring, supervision, training, and evaluation of all assigned faculty and staff.
- Review and enforce college administrative and personnel policies and procedures.
- Counsels and advises students, faculty and assigned staff; suggest appropriate courses of action; and coordinate grievances.
- Serves on committees.
- Supports and advances the mission and values of the College.
- Ability to use, operate, and/or handle office equipment, such as a computer and printer, facsimile machine, copier, calculator and communications equipment.
- Performs other duties as assigned by supervising administrator.
Supervisory Responsibilities: This job has supervisory responsibilities.
Requires the ability to utilize a wide variety of descriptive data and information, such as policy manuals, Employee Handbook, SACS Criteria Manual, Program Accreditation Manuals, program guidelines from DCC, course syllabi and course textbooks.
Requires the ability to perform addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, ability to calculate decimals and percentages
Functional Reasoning: Requires the ability to apply principles of influence systems, such as motivation, incentive, teaching pedagogy, and leadership. Ability to exercise independent judgment to apply facts and principles for developing approaches and techniques to problem resolution.
Situational Reasoning: Requires the ability to exercise the judgment, decisiveness and creativity required in situations involving the direction, control and planning of instructional programs.
A complete knowledge of Microsoft Products as used in overall management in an educational environment is required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact