Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College
Asheville, North Carolina
Closes: Thursday, February 15, 2018
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
1. Associate’s Degree;
2. Three years of benefits experience in an organization with at least 100 employees;
3. Experience analyzing data and preparing reports.
1. Related experience in a NC community college or other public higher education institution;
2. Demonstrated ability to use the Ellucian Colleague system or other information system;
3. Certification as an Employee Benefits Specialist or Benefits Professional, or other human-resources-related certification;
4. Bachelor’s degree.
Job Description Summary
Responsible for administration of employee benefits, workers compensation, and extended leaves. Serves as the primary contact and knowledgeable resource for employees regarding these activities and provides accurate, courteous, efficient, and timely service. Works effectively with coworkers, benefit providers, and third party administrators on a regular basis to ensure compliance with legal requirements, plan provisions, and College policies and procedures. Maintains the highest ethical standards, including confidentiality of employee records.
1. Administers benefits plans, implements changes to existing plans, and facilitates the transition to new plans, as approved;
2. Manages the annual enrollment process for the state health plan and supplemental benefits plans;
3. Meets individually with employees regarding new hire benefits offerings, benefits options at separation from employment, and the retirement separation process and paperwork, and follows applicable procedures for implementing benefits changes;
4. Handles benefit inquiries and complaints to ensure a quick, equitable, courteous resolution. Maintains reasonable contact with medical providers, benefits providers, third party administrators, employees, and beneficiaries to facilitate proper and complete utilization of benefits for all employees. Such contact may occur in-person and/or via phone, fax, email, campus mail, or regular mail;
5. Prepares employee benefits and retirement communications materials, conducts related employee meetings and programs, and otherwise informs management and employees about existing benefits, retirement, and extended leaves;
6. Serves as the primary point of contact for employees for retirement, extended leaves (e.g. Family Medical Leave and Disability Leave) and Worker’s Compensation;
7. Serves as the primary liaison between applicable state agencies and benefits providers and the College;
8. Works collaboratively with the Facilities/Safety Manager to collect and report workplace injuries, consistent with OSHA requirements;
9. Enters benefits data in Colleague as needed and maintains accurate paper and electronic files related to employee benefits, retirement, workers’ compensation, and extended leaves;
10. Oversees the annual Employee & Student Wellness Fair with the Student Life Development Director;
11. Periodically compares College benefits with those of other employers and makes recommendations to the Vice President for Human Resources and Organizational Development and the HR Generalist. This may include developing and/or participating in benefits surveys;
12. Performs other duties to support the smooth operation of the HR Department.