Closes: Saturday, April 1, 2023
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Bachelor’s degree in accounting or a related field and a minimum of one year of general accounting work experience;
Or bachelor’s degree in other fields and completion of 20 hours of college-level coursework in
accounting and a minimum of 2 years of general accounting experience;
Or associate degree in accounting and 5 years of mid-level accounting work experience may be considered
Central Piedmont Community College has two openings for the position of Budget Analyst I. The positions are located on the Central Campus in the Pitts and Drumm buildings, respectively.
The Budget Department is part of the Finance & Administrative Services Division and works with units across the College to develop, report and implement the College operating plan. The following are some of the most important, but not all, functions of the Budget Department:
- Coordinate all facets of the College’s state and county budget preparation process.
- Administer College Budget and Financial Management Policy.
- Manage the College’s Operating Budget Plan and monitor for conformity with requirements of the North Carolina Community College System (NCCCS), the North Carolina Office of the State Auditor, Mecklenburg County, and numerous other state and federal requirements.
Anticipated Hiring Date: March 1, 2023
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday
Work Hours: 40 hours
Coordinates financial activities between the assigned units and Financial Services unit to perform a variety of moderately complex budget tasks related to preparing/maintaining/reviewing budget activities, creating financial reports, adjusting/reconciling budgets, and providing excellent customer service to College personnel with questions concerning budgets in use and available for use.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs account monitoring/auditing, balancing/reconciling budgets to approved allotments, researching and resolving any discrepancies for all assigned accounts.
- Understands and maintains working knowledge of budget guidelines and procedures.
Communicates and provides necessary trainings and guidance to budget customers to make sure the latest budget guidelines and procedures are followed.
- Interacts and consults with appropriate college administrators and account managers to design and maintains effective budget controls, processes and procedures; confers with appropriate Financial Services staff and college account managers in order to explain budget policy, processes and resolves budget discrepancies, and independently initiating appropriate corrections by working directly with assigned staff.
- Gathers financial data, conducts research and analyzes budgets vs. expenses related to assigned accounts. Makes recommendations for solutions, prepares and/or processes the reclassification and/or transferring journal entries and/or budget revision entries.
- Assists account managers and staff in preparing financial forms related to the assigned accounts, understanding the North Carolina Chart of Accounts and guidelines, reviewing their approved budgets vs. actual expenses, outstanding encumbrances and available/deficits, and explaining the next steps.
- Reviews and verifies financial forms and records, processes requests and provides accurate information and responds to inquiries in a timely manner.
- Reviews internal forms related to assigned accounts, verifies information, performs calculation (if any), communicates with appropriate staff to resolve any issues, processes requests and provides accurate information and responds to inquiries in a timely manner.
- Gathers financial information to complete the assigned internal and/or external reports accordingly.
- Provides excellent customer service, be able to work well with others and serves as back up to other staff within Budget and upper management.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Characteristics
- Effective communication skills, both oral and written
- Ability to function as a team leader
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to exercise good judgment and make decisions under pressure with limited intervention from
- The ability to “Think outside the box”
- Ability to work effectively with all levels of personnel
- Knowledge of College policies as well as applicable North Carolina and federal guidelines
- Excellent computer skills and specifically in the area of Excel spreadsheets
How to Apply
Job Post Contact