Main Campus - Smithfield, North Carolina
- Instructional (Faculty)
Closes: Monday, October 15, 2018
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education Minimum: MBA with 18 graduate hours in business (BUS prefix) OR Masters' Degree with 18 graduate hours in business courses (BUS prefix)
Experience Minimum: Minimum one-year teaching college level courses in both seated and online formats and hands on business experience, technologically proficient.
Education Preferred: MBA
Experience Preferred: 3 to 5 years teaching college level Business Administration courses, online teaching experience, curriculum development experience, technologically proficient and hands on business experience.
Johnston Community College is looking for a faculty member to lead our students into the future of business administration as part of the Business and Applied Technologies division! As we move forward, we expect to be not just meeting but exceeding student expectations in terms of content and delivery in our courses. Under general supervision, the purpose of the position is to provide a comprehensive educational instructional program committed to quality teaching and successful student achievement and outcomes. Employees in this classification perform instructional work and are leaders in curriculum design for this program. Position is responsible for instructing students with updated knowledge of active learning approaches as well as in-the-field expertise; teaching classes; maintaining accurate administrative records; service to the department and the College as a whole; and interaction with the local business community.
Knowledge & Responsibilities:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Teach a full load of business courses in the curriculum in seated, online, hybrid, and accelerated format.
- Review, update and develop a focus for the JCC current business curriculum. Instructor should find ways of incorporating current business trends into courses, pathways, credentials for today's savvy business-oriented student.
- Attend and pursue meaningful professional development opportunities to keep current with content and pedagogy and utilize in teaching.
- Engage students in project-based, active learning.
- Incorporate differences in business world as it relates to globalization and technology.
- Collaborate with other programs at JCC to create pathways that would benefit students (i.e. basic skills, cosmetology, truck driver training, etc.)
- Be proactive in recruiting and maintaining relationships with advisory board members with a broad representation from the Johnston County community. Feedback should be sought frequently and used to develop both curriculum and continuing education opportunities for JCC students.
- Use technology regularly in the classroom and in classroom assignments which mirrors what is used out in the business world (i.e. e-texts, apps, Google Docs, Skype, MS Office products, etc.) with a high level of proficiency.
- Develop additional, meaningful opportunities for Business Education students including, but not limited to, clubs, business-based competitions, guest speakers, etc.
- Attend college events (graduation, recruitment, etc.)
- Interface regularly with part time business instructors to ensure quality, consistency in instruction. In addition, serve on the interview committee for new part time instructors to ensure that they too are teaching updated content.
- Performs related work as required.
- This job will supervise adjunct instructors.
***Please attach resume, cover letter and unofficial transcripts***
- Effective written and verbal communication skills are required.
- Ability to perform basic math computations including adding, subtracting, multiplying and averaging all units of measure.
- Ability to compute fractions, percents and decimals.
- Ability to use effective critical thinking, problem solving and decision making skills.
- To perform this job successfully an individual should be proficient in a Windows environment and have knowledge of Office 365, email systems, PowerPoint and Blackboard.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact