Closes: Monday, July 5, 2021
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Education and Experience Required:
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, or related field, and 3 to 5 years of general ledger accounting experience; or any equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office including Excel and Word.
Education and Experience Preferred:
- Working knowledge in GAAP and GASB as well as governmental accounting practice.
- Previous experience with using Datatel (Colleague) software program.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or government regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference.
- Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Under general supervision, an employee in this position has managerial oversight and responsibility for developing and continuously improving the operations and activities of the Business Services Department of the College, as well as supporting the financial operations of the College by performing detail-oriented accounting work involving the classifying, posting, balancing, reconciling and summarizing of financial transactions. Duties related to this position focus on planning and coordinating the efforts of the staff of the Business Services Department in the areas of financial services, payroll, accounts payable and receivable, cash receipts, and student financials; as well as preparing monthly general and standard journal entries, account reconciliations, and other accounting statements and reports. Duties of this position also focus on providing oversight of the management of the Child Care Center and Campus Bookstore operations and activities. Duties assigned may vary according to the specific needs of the Division and/or allocation of workload. This position directly supervises three employees, and reports to the Vice President of Finance and Operations.
- Supervise and direct the fiscal activities and operations of the Business Services Department, including financial services, payroll, accounts payable and receivable, cash receipting and student financial functions, in accordance to Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Government Accounting Standards Board (GASB).
- Oversee the daily operations and activities of the Child Care Center, Campus Bookstore, and Food & Vending Services by collaborating with management to ensure effective and efficient customer service.
- Reconcile all bank statement accounts, including Satellite Campuses, State, Federal, County, Institutional, and Foundation; including the posting of monthly activity to ensure bank accounts balance to the general ledger.
- Review satellite daily cash analysis deposits to Institutional funds, including making bi-monthly transfers and writing checks.
- Perform monthly reconciliation of payroll, and collaborating with the Payroll Specialist to resolve any discrepancies.
- Review electronic payments received and forward to Student Accounts Assistant Accountant/Cashier for receipting.
- Review accounts receivable reconciliation performed by the Student Accounts & Receivables Accountant
- Review procurement card reconciliation from the Accounts Payable Coordinator and prepare check requests.
- Perform monthly journal entries for procurement card transactions as needed.
- Maintain and submit escheat/abandoned property reporting to the NC State Treasurer.
- Assist Student Accounts & Receivables Accountant with reconciling outstanding Financial Aid checks.
- Approve monthly merchant credit card activity.
- Approve all travel-related authorizations, expenditures, and reimbursement requests upon review by the Financial Services Accountant.
- Process monthly Sales & Use Tax to the NCDOR for the College, as well as quarterly payables and semi-annual receivables for the Foundation.
- Review all accounts payable check runs generated by the Accounts Payable Coordinator.
- Process 1098 and 1099 tax forms for the College and Foundation with assistance from the Financial Services Accountant, Accounts Payable Coordinator, and Student Accounts & Receivables Accountant.
- Ensure the timely preparation and submission of required Community College System reports.
- Communicate with faculty, staff, and outside contacts to provide financial and accounting information and support as needed.
- Maintain knowledge of internal control requirements, including the review and continuous improvement of existing internal control procedures.
- Audit various duties and functions within the Business Services Department and report any irregularities or concerns to the Controller and Vice President of Finance and Operations.
- Serve as backup to the Payroll Specialist position in carrying out essential payroll processes.
- Ensure proper training of the Business Services Department staff, as well as the timely completion of performance evaluations.
- Perform other duties as assigned, including project and committee work.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact