Closes: Wednesday, July 31, 2019
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Associate degree (or higher) from a regionally accredited institution in criminal justice or a related field required.
- North Carolina Law Enforcement Officer Certification required.
- Completion of North Carolina BLET required.
- Minimum of five years of law enforcement experience required.
- At least two years of supervisory experience required.
- Must have a clean criminal history and possess a valid driver’s license with no DUI convictions.
- Fingerprinting required upon hire.
- Ability to work a varied work schedule required.
- Moderate physical labor may be required on occasion.
- Working outside in adverse weather conditions is common.
- Must be able to lift and maneuver items weighing up to 30 pounds, to walk up and down stairs, and to walk for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to work variable hours at multiple campuses, including weekends, holidays, and rotating shifts.
- Work environment can be stressful at times in dealing with a wide variety of challenges and deadlines.
- College/university law enforcement experience preferred.
Open until filled - applications reviewed upon receipt.
Responsible for maintaining security and safety of persons and property on the College campuses; enforcing federal and state statutes and College policies, procedures, rules, and regulations; identifying potential security and safety hazards; remaining alert and responding to potential criminal activity on campus; maintaining good public relations by assisting others as a source of information and direction; controlling and regulating traffic and parking; investigating all security, safety, and traffic incidents; supervising campus police officers and security personnel. Assume command of the Campus Police Department and perform duties of the Chief of Campus Police in his/her absence.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist the Chief of Campus Police in directing the operation of the Campus Police Department including assuming command of the Campus Police Department and perform duties of the Chief of Campus Police in his/her absence.
- Provide direct supervision for the day-to-day activities of campus police officers including scheduling, and evaluating performance of officers and monitoring and adjusting police/security operations and coverages to ensure effectiveness. Responsible for performance management including preparation and administration of performance appraisals.
- Conduct regular meetings with officers and include other campus security personnel as needed.
- Review and evaluate all police officer reports to ensure accuracy and completeness, and recommend security-related strategies for improvement when deemed appropriate.
- In collaboration with the College Professional Development function, identify, schedule, and maintain required and developmental training and certifications for police officers.
- Responsible for the effective planning and scheduling security for College events including direct and indirect oversight for all activates.
- As needed or required, testify in court and at disciplinary hearings.
- Lead, assist, and/or coordinate emergency response table top and/or actual drills including follow-up assessments and developing actions for improvements.
- Assist with the revision of informational manuals as needed (e.g., Campus Police Department Standard Operating Procedures, Emergency Response Guide).
- Serve on campus committees and panels when requested.
- Prepare and provide incident/accident reports for staff, students, and the general public.
- Respond to after-hours calls and situations as needed.
- Model and maintain a high standard of professionalism in representing the College and the ideals or principles of law enforcement, including, but not limited to, confidentiality in all aspects of the position’s responsibilities and adherence to policies, procedures, ethics, and other established guidelines. Adhere to professional accountability and accept responsibility for managing situations and problems. Work cooperatively with team members and colleagues, contributing positively and constructively to the achievement of team and College objectives. Provide a high level of service to customers by establishing and maintaining effective working relationships and partnerships.
- Perform other related duties incidental to work described herein.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact