- Instructional (Faculty)
Closes: Tuesday, January 16, 2018
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Master's Degree in Social and Behavioral Sciences (e.g. Psychology, History, Sociology), Mathematics, English/Humanities/Communication, Natural Sciences) or master's degree in a closely related area with 18 or more graduate semester credit hours in one of the aforementioned subject areas. (Applicants not qualified to teach college-level coursework will not be considered).
- Experience teaching high school students.
- Experience teaching students in both technical and transfer programs.
- College advising or related experience
- Experience using an LMS, Blackboard is preferred.
- Experience teaching distance courses.
Central Carolina Community College is recruiting for a Career and College Advisor/Instructor 11 month position (August to June). The Career and College Advisor/Instructor reports to the Director of Secondary Partnerships and is part of the Central Carolina Works (CCW) team. The CCW program is an initiative to increase high school participation in the state Career and College Promise program aimed at enhancing career and technical education pathways tied to the local workforce needs and allowing high school students the opportunity to earn college credit and complete credentials. This position will be based at Northwood High School in Pittsboro.
This position will also develop and teach approximately 8-10 college-level contact hours per semester reporting to the Department Chairperson in a specified discipline.
Career & College Advisor--50%
- Serve as career and college advisors for a caseload of Career and College Promise (CCP) program (dual-enrollment) students at assigned area high school.
- Work in collaboration with high school counselors, high school career development coordinators, and Director of Secondary Partnerships to facilitate student access and success for CCP students.
- Provide college and career advising and registration assistance with enrollment in CCP pathways.
- Maintain records for enrollment, tracking, and reporting purposes.
- Participate in any school related activities in which CCP pathways can be promoted (e.g. Parent Nights).
- Manage college textbooks at high school sites.
- Utilize the Aviso early alert system to identify and provide intervention, resources, and strategies for students in need of academic support.
- Work with the Career and College advising team to ensure CCP and college enrollment goals are met and college pathway materials and instructional supplies are disseminated.
- Participate in team meeting and professional development activities as directed by the Director of Secondary Partnerships.
- Engage students, counselors, faculty, parents, and all stakeholders in information sessions related to college success and CCP advising sessions on related topics.
- Maintain quality partnerships with secondary school personnel in collaboration with the Director of Secondary Partnerships.
- Other duties as assigned by Director of Secondary Partnerships.
- Teach 8-10 college-level contact hours per semester depending on advising load and responsibilities.
- Prepare, maintain, and distribute for all scheduled courses current course outlines and syllabi that support accreditation standards
- Prepare for and meet classes as assigned, promptly evaluate student progress within one week and maintain a safe learning environment.
- Demonstrate concern for student retention by employing best practice strategies.
- Assist in the annual Compliance Assist Assessment.
- Assist in maintaining department/curriculum equipment, supplies, and materials, and library and support resources.
- Participate in scheduled and called departmental, faculty, staff meetings and other College activities.
- Keep supervisor informed of matters pertaining to the curriculum.
- Assume other duties as requested by the supervisor and the College.
- Follow policies stated in the policies and procedures manual as it relates to instructor responsibilities.
- Serve on College committees as assigned.
- Plan and participate in articulation activities with public schools and other community agencies.
- May teach an ACA college success course as part of instructor load.
- Complete the annual five-hour staff development requirement.
- Submit records and forms in a timely fashion as required in the policy and procedures manual.
- Encourage and support College activities, policies, procedures, and philosophies.
- Actively participate in professional organizations.
- Travel required within service area
- Travel for professional development opportunities/conferences
- Some evening/night work required. i.e. parent nights at high schools
- Advisor will primarily work from assigned high school with some commitments on the campuses of the community college. High school typically provides an office space.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact
Central Carolina Community College Human Resources