Richmond Community College Service Area
Closes: Tuesday, July 5, 2022
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Positive attitude, high level of energy and enthusiasm. High degree of integrity, professionalism, and confidentiality. Ability to prioritize various tasks and assignments. Ability to communicate with a wide range of audiences, both orally and in writing. Self-directed, with the ability to adapt to changing needs and priorities on a daily basis. Must have excellent customer service skills.
Minimum Education and Experience: Bachelor’s degree required plus applicable work experience. Must be proficient in Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
Master’s degree preferred.
- Assist students in self-exploration to develop educational plans that are consistent with students’ goals, interests, strengths, and values.
- Foster a relationship with advisees to promote student development, retention, and completion.
- Refer students to campus resources, programs, and support systems that promote academic success, career development, experiential learning, and engagement in a chosen career field.
- Meet with students to provide information and guidance on academic-related issues, such as graduation requirements and exceptions, major exploration, course planning and registration, transfer credit evaluations/substitution or advance degree requirements.
- Advise and register first time and returning students, via walk-in, appointment and online.
- Provide academic advising to distance learners via phone, online, and during orientation.
- Audit, monitor, and evaluate individual student academic progress through college completion and gradation plans.
- Develop a working knowledge of scholarships, financial aid, and other funding sources available to students.
- Support upcoming graduates with college and/or employment applications, resume and interviewing skills.
- Document student advising sessions utilizing campus retention software.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge about the College’s program and requirements; consult with contacts at various transfer institutions regarding course and program transferability, admission and graduation requirements.
- Assist with the organization of college and career events; develop and disseminate marketing materials for these events to students and the community.
- Participate in college-wide retention initiatives.
- Create and manage databases and spreadsheets that support the operations of department as well as generate requested reports.
- Attend professional development trainings and participate in college-wide initiatives.
- Ensure compliance with FERPA, state law and community college system regulations and college policies and procedures.
- Other duties. (Willingness to accept and fulfill additional assignments.)
How to Apply
Application Process: To apply for a vacant position, complete the Richmond Community College application and submit it with photocopies or unofficial copies of your College transcripts. For positions where a high school diploma or equivalent is the highest required degree, then proof of high school/equivalency is required. Application and review process can be found on the RCC website. No action will be taken on submission of a resume or letter of interest only. Incomplete files will not be considered.